Note to New Members ×

Based on your opinions, bought P-02 skis, where to put bindings?

gibbons

Ok, everyone said that Palmer P-02's are fun, so I bought a pair of 163's to replace my 2002 160cm Atomic race stock Race 9-12 skis. I'm gunna like them, right? Yeah, I get the whole carving thing, I hard booted for a couple of years until my sons said I was a better skier (ie, I sucked at hardbooting). When I ski, every direction change is a carve leaving two trenchs.

Anyway, my new P-02's have the plates. There are some guidelines on the plate for binding placement a given boot sole length. Mine happens to be 296mm. From y'alls experience, do I follow the guidelines, or scoot them forward or back? I'm gunna miss the Atomic bindings and their ability to move back and forth to 5 different positions by just moving a lever. I actually did move them around depending on conditions.

Thanks for any help.

I've always believed that the best setup for me was to mount with the ball of foot at midpoint of running length which would be option 3 in the attached. I also have a boot sole length the same as yours and it just never made sense that I should mount by toe or midpoint of boot as that would put me in a very different place on the ski vs. a person with a larger boot.

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/1168/where-to-mount-bindings

Yes, seriously. Thanks for the informative response.

I'm guessing you posted this in the wrong board :eek:

I think the binding positions marked on the plate are already forward of a more traditional center of side cut positioning. So I would go with that to start with. The Tyrolia SP120 demo binding would have allowed for some experimenting back, and forward.

If you have Tyrolia bindings, you may have issues with the delta angle; which is comparatively large. I'm going to experimenting with shims under the toe piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this was the best place to get some good quick advice. I just bought a pair of Palmer P01 (171cm 121-85-113) I know not the P02 carve machines, but still a cool/unique all mtn ski that can carve and has the whole decambered technology "FLF" I got a good deal so my pair has the crazy top sheets and no "plus" or "carbon" so definately on the soft side but torsionally stiff. Anyone have binding reccomendations? The Palmer site reccomends Tyrollia, but I noticed Tyrollia/Head are one and Palmers are made or sold by Head. So do I have to go with Tyrollias? I have some older Markers. Just curious? I know they are not the P02s but hoping someone can share their knowledge. Oh yea can I put a plate/riser on all mtn 85mm plus skis??? Does it make any difference?

Figured this was the best place to get some good quick advice. I just bought a pair of Palmer P01 (171cm 121-85-113) I know not the P02 carve machines, but still a cool/unique all mtn ski that can carve and has the whole decambered technology "FLF" I got a good deal so my pair has the crazy top sheets and no "plus" or "carbon" so definately on the soft side but torsionally stiff. Anyone have binding reccomendations? The Palmer site reccomends Tyrollia, but I noticed Tyrollia/Head are one and Palmers are made or sold by Head. So do I have to go with Tyrollias? I have some older Markers. Just curious? I know they are not the P02s but hoping someone can share their knowledge. Oh yea can I put a plate/riser on all mtn 85mm plus skis??? Does it make any difference?

The only reason to go head/Tyrolia on bindings is the carve plate is pre-drilled for those bindings. If you don't have a carve plate......

• 1 year later...

Hey Flyin Hawaiian, advice on the Palmer P01s is hard to come by, so I'm hoping you might be able to help me out. I was a snowboarder for a long time but am picking up skiing and I love it. Recently retired college athlete so my first trip skiing (4 days in park city last season) had me on some blues by the end.

I've been recommended two skis-- Rossignal Avenger 74 (beginner/intermediate frontside ski that's supposed to be really easy to learn to carve well on) and the Palmer P01 (which I was told I'd never outgrow since it's so fun and versatile).

The Palmer sounds awesome but I'm looking for your opinion here, since you ski it, on whether it'll help me progress quickly, or if it'd be better to stick with a good classic frontside ski for now (since the one negative review I've seen on the Palmer is that while overall fun, "doesn't excel at anything"). Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want something unique, easy to ski and can still rip in medium to soft snow, the Palmer P01 is the way to go. Never skied the Rossi so can't say its good or bad. The Palmers are very easy to carve on because of the "FLF" or rocker/camber tech. What ever it is it works and is very cool and fun to ski. Since they are so hard to find at a good price I settled for the 171. I think they make a 176 or 178, wish I could have found these, because at 6'2" they get a little too short. Plus be aware of how soft they are, they are definately noodles. They will not carry a bunch of speed, they can handle boiler plate but its not where they excel. Overall its a great intermidiate ski. I hear the P02 are suppose to handle hard pack better, but I hear all the Palmers are soft compared to a Volkl or other types of skis meant for hard pack. Hope this helps. As for the negative review. The most important thing it excels at is keeping you on the mountain skiing till last runs this ski won't beat you up.

I was thinking of getting some metal P01s. The construction looks similar to the P02, but there are non metal P01s that may not have anything like the same performance when carving (which may explain the review). The Rossi Avenger/E74 is really a beginner ski. You probably saw a ton of them at PC last season. The Avenger 82 ti while a conventional camber ski, absolutely rocks for carving, but is maybe not as easy a ski to use. The Rossi 82 carbon has an early rise tip, but you notice the lack of metal on hard snow.

Based on my experience going from alpine boards to skis, you will progress quickly and need better equipment sooner, rather than latter.

• 2 weeks later...
You should post this on Epicski or TGR. The former if you want lots of opinions, the latter if you like to be called a jong.

Disagree completely...Epicski is definitely too smug to give advice. A similar question would have been met with nothing but derision, as well

I own a pair of Rossi Avenger Ti 82 in a 170 length. I can honestly say that these skis are incredible for railing turns. They have two sheets of metal and also a integrated binding system. They are very smooth and stable on the snow but they weigh a ton hanging off your foot on the chair. I tried the Avenger Carbon also before purchasing the Ti. The ride on the Ti is incomparable in dampness compared to the Carbon.

They do like packed powder conditions as I tend to get lots of chatter when the snow is harder.

I jumped from a Head Cyber XP 90 with a 68 mm waist up to the Rossi 82 mm width. I thought I would notice the difference in waist width but didn't really didn't feel the additional width at all.

I also tried another ski recently at a trade fair, a Rossi Experience 88. If you are looking to rail turns this might be an option also. The Rossi rep told me to give it a few runs to get used to the width. I didn't need one run, it felt right at home under my feet from the first few turns. In all honesty I think I will sell my Avengers at the end of the season and pick up the Experience.

The Avengers still are built with traditional camber whereas the Experience has camber directly under foot but with a slight rocker tip and tail. Also, with the additional width of the Experience would allow me to use it as a powder ski also where the Avenger with its low rise tip is strictly a frontside, groomer ski!

I demoed the Avenger 82ti and the E82 last season. It was an interesting comparison as it was obvious the the modern camber profile of the E82 did not make up for the superior construction of the Avenger 82. In hard carving on very hard packed powder the E82 bounced, chattered, and flapped around. The Avenger felt like a metal race ski, rock solid. The general conclusion I drew from this is that maybe construction wins out over design. It would be nice to try a metal version of the E82. I suspect it would be better than the Avenger. I would guess that at this stage of the game, Rossi bet on some resistance to the early rise tip by carving skiers, and so played safe.