Note to New Members ×

Newbie still has a few questions

Quebec

Hey, I'm a long time skier and have a really nice set of twin tips that are practically brand new but I would like to try something different this season.

Now I'm not completely ignorant I have snowboarded a few times, I used the search function and found a lot of information for newbies and I read through a good part of the carver's almanac but it was last updated in '07 so I still have a few questions.

The carver's almanac doesn't really mention plates (or race plates), I'm curious as to what they improve/replace and what the height difference does.

If I get a second hand boot do I have to buy a new liner, it seems I see thermo mold a lot and I'm uncertain as to whether they re-mold or not.

The cheapest bindings I see on here are second hand and maybe 125$, what are those 40$ proflex bindings on ebay?

Finally, I was thinking of going for an all mountain setup like a prior 4wd or ATV, if I get a second hand, do these boards get softer with use, should I be weary of older boards, I know the typical lifespan of a ski is about 180 days of use, is it better or worse or basically the same.

Thanks for the help, if these answers where somewhere else could you give me a link.

I think the "$40 proflex" on ebay you speak of are the ones that have a perpetual listing? They're sold out of germany and end up costing about $80 when you add in shipping. I bought a pair a couple seasons ago and they are a decent binder, but have plastic base plates which will be fine for a beginner or light weight rider that doesn't stress them too hard.

The "isolation" plate the racers are using this last couple of years is an extra you may not need till your ride skills are built up a bit. It's an evolution of the Hangl, or Vist, plates that have been used for many years. Read up on them and you'll learn a lot by using the search funtion.

Keep your eye on the for sale threads and post in the wanted to buy section, good deals on older binder for +/- $50 can be had.

As far as softening up, in general the stiffer they start the longer they last.

Don't mind bob, he's just paranoid that you may be a recurring troll.

Yes I believe we are talking about the same bindings, they do add up to 80$ with the shipping.

I ain't no featherweight tho, I'm 6'2" 180lbs, my twin tips are 180, my XCs 195 and my boots 29.5, so the stuff that fits really narrows it down when I look on sale threads.

Other than that, what can I expect to be a good price for a second hand setup board, boots and bindings. I also want to get a gopro HD so I can film the first 1000 times I fall trying to carve like in the vids :)

@BobD I'm not trolling, I have a job so I don't have enough free time to start being a dick to people for no other reason than to masturbate my ego.

Therre used to be some really good resources for alpine boarding in Quebec. Sharks in Montreal, Andre Bouchard at Mount Ste Anne, and a few small shops at Tremblant. There are also a lot of local riders that would probably be more than willing to help you out as the season gets closer. I suspect right now they are out on their mountain bikes and longboards........

If I get a second hand boot do I have to buy a new liner, it seems I see thermo mold a lot and I'm uncertain as to whether they re-mold or not.

It's probably a good idea to buy a new liner. In my opinion, unless the secondhand boots are in really good condition, using an old liner is like using a secondhand underwear. The liner would have been soaked in sweat which contains urea (as in urine). I wouldn't go there myself.

Finally, I was thinking of going for an all mountain setup like a prior 4wd or ATV, if I get a second hand, do these boards get softer with use, should I be weary of older boards, I know the typical lifespan of a ski is about 180 days of use, is it better or worse or basically the same.

Boards do get softer after use but unless you try it yourself it's kinda hard (if not impossible) to assess it online. Of course you should be weary of older boards especially if the price's too good to be true...

You might also want to look at the condition of the edge as well since some snowboarders, like me, sharpen the edge everyday so the edge can wear out relatively quickly.

I believe it will be pretty safe if you buy from here. It seems to me that majority of the users here sell their boards not because they're so worn out but because they simply have too many stuffs in their garage and/or their spouses force them to sell ;)

I've seen some really good bagains but since I live in Australia... :angryfire

Hope this helps :-D