Note to New Members ×

Hot Blast Specs

Enzo

Several years ago I purchased a used '95 Hot Blast from a local shop. I contacted HOT and they have no record of a production board being built with similar dimensions. An identical board was listed on ebay two years ago as a US Team issue. HOT thinks the board is some sort of prototype.

Is anyone familiar with this model?

Using a ruler and my trusty graphing calculator my preliminary measurements are:

length: 174cm

RL: ~158cm (using the paper method)

waist: 18.2cm

nose: 22.5cm

tail: 22.1cm

sidecut: ~15m (calculated using natew's sidecut applet)

Any help in verifying these measurements is much appreciated!!

Here's pic of the board:

post-580-141842199068_thumb.jpg

Guest Don Grimmer

I have a Hot board with the same graphics and I believe these were actually Hot Logicals with the Blast graphics added for racing in the US. Check out the Logical specs for that year. The person who could probably solve the riddle is Paul Alden. The last I heard Paul was the Vice-president of Airwalk. Paul owned Hot North America at that time.

Don Grimmer

I've always really liked the extremely user friendly and predictable hot Blast boards. I got my little 20 year old Korean Girlfriend to learn to carve on one of them in 94-96.

I think you'll have a great time with that deck. When I ran a Snowboard store on Newbury Street I was the largest dealer in new England for Hot Blasts- never had an unsatisfied customer- the boards always got raves.

The hot logical was a very user friendly SYM board while the blast was a symetrical.

I always liked selling ASYms in my store because my feeling was that Asyms helped soft booters with low stance angles acclimitize themselves to hard booting easier

________

BUY HERBALAIRE VAPORIZER

Originally posted by John Gilmour

I've always really liked the extremely user friendly and predictable hot Blast boards. I got my little 20 year old Korean Girlfriend to learn to carve on one of them in 94-96.

I think you'll have a great time with that deck. When I ran a Snowboard store on Newbury Street I was the largest dealer in new England for Hot Blasts- never had an unsatisfied customer- the boards always got raves.

I've actually had the board for the past several years and I love it. The best $75 bucks I've ever spent!!! For a ten year old board, it's still very fast, stable, and carves like it's on rails. I was just looking for some background info on the board b/c as I mentioned HOT has no record of ever building it. Also, I like my HOT so much that I'm trying to verify the dimensions b/c I have a custom designed with similar specs going into production very soon and the details must be finalized. Sidecut is the key dimension that I'd like to verify b/c I'm using my Hot as the comparison and last week I was tossing around the idea of a 11.5m vs. 13.2m sidecut on my custom. Well, I finally pulled my Hot out of storage and carefully measured it up...I never knew that I was riding a ~15m radius board up until this past weekend. :confused:

No wonder why I sometimes feel like I'm going to fly into the trees on narrow trails. :D

I'm not positive but I believe that deck was produced in teh grand Chavin factory in France. And if I'm not mistaken it was one of the few alpine boards that was made of a core which had the center made of horizontal plys which were actually cut in a curve prior to lamination- the board should never lose its camber as a result, The side rails were done in traditional V-lam.

I really liked the ride of those blasts and for the rider ability level I never felt they ever got out of date. As I recall the retail on that board was $550- you got a STEAL!

Have a blast.

________

NEVADA DISPENSARIES

• 2 weeks later...

Before going to Nitros, I used to ride hot in 1992 and 1993; I can honestly say they were a poorly made board. But very nice handling shape though.

The top sheet of one lifted within 20 days; then the replacement lasted a bit longer, but both (IMHO due to the core) end ended up like a boat with a non flat bottom.

From end to end, the second board lost all its camber (so it was flat) within a full season (not to be unexpected) of race training and carving; but the boat effect was not good at all, except in slush, when it came in very handy.

It looked like the edges were about 1-2mm higher than the centre of the base particularly near the tail area. It theoretically should have made the carving worse, but it seemed ok on the great snow in USA compared to here in Thailand ;-)

3 of my friends also got cheap boards from hot via me at the same time, and all suffered similar results; I think the next year (the one where they went to symmetrics) they might have corrected this issue, and they went to 4 hole, but by then I was nitroing my way around ;-)

Back in the day, the old G&S boards were also horizontally laminated and seemed to end up like boats as well.

By comparison, my scorpion 155 still had a full 1cm of camber after riding for 3 full winter/winter seasons in New Zealand then mammoth.....

There were actually 3 models; the logical was the race board; the blast was like a detuned race but similar, and there was this other very odd looking freeride board called a hot spot? that was lower again.

The other thing that didn't help...the retention plate inside the board ? to attach bindings was laminated well inside the board, not on the top like the old nitros/other brands. Porbably stronger, but several people ended up pulling out bindings as a result, when shops not knowing this mounted the boards with screws that were too short!

Hmmm.....Korean huh? ;-0 (jealous)

Kipsan