Note to New Members ×

RollerBlade wheel question.

Arje_Vandemeer

Not sure exactly where to post this question, as the longboarding section probably doesn't deal much with rollerblading.

Anyway...I am wondering if anyone has come across a truly rubbery rollerblade wheel. The reason I ask is because the standard rollerblade wheels are made of quite hard material (urethane? polyurethane??) and mine, at least, tend to skid out on small pebbles and such...often with painful results! I think they skid on these pebbles easily because the wheel material is relatively hard. I am not an engineer, but it seems the hard urethane or whatever would have lower coefficient of friction, maybe...and would that cause skidding??

So, I am thinking if one could find wheels made of real tire rubber, they wouldn't skid out on pebbles and such.

I realize the rubber wheels (solid rubber...not air-filled) would probably need replacing much more often due to wear, but where I skate, there is LOTS of small pebbles on the paths and often sand. Sand and pebbles are not the rollerbladers friends!!!

I've searched, and I've haven't found any solid tire-rubber wheels for roller-blades, but would sure like to! Anybody know?

They definitely make softer durometer wheels that will be more forgiving. However they also wear fast.

On rubber, although I have not seen any solid black rubber type inline wheels , I have seen/used the pneumatic (very large) tires for the off road type skates. I used to skate on something in between. Larger diameter soft wheels on a 3 wheel framed inline skate, it sucked up the rough surface better than anything else I had tried.

Bryan.

Rollerblade Outback X

I think the issue you have is that most inline wheels now are striving for low rolling resistance and high rebound (energy return from wheel deformation). While wheels in the low durometer range (sub 80A) will be more grippy... they can sap leg strength like pushing around flat tires. As far as having a wheel hold on sand or gravel over pavement.... not going to happen. What size wheels are you needing? I know there are small wheels for rollerhockey (under 80mm diameter) that can be quite grippy. Me, I'm rolling on a 4x100 setup and I'm playing with several wheels of differing hardness to see what works best for me. It looks like 85A durometer may suit me best for roll and grip.

They definitely make softer durometer wheels that will be more forgiving. However they also wear fast.

On rubber, although I have not seen any solid black rubber type inline wheels , I have seen/used the pneumatic (very large) tires for the off road type skates. I used to skate on something in between. Larger diameter soft wheels on a 3 wheel framed inline skate, it sucked up the rough surface better than anything else I had tried.

Bryan.

Rollerblade Outback X

Thanks, Bryan. I would sure like to find some of those 'in between'

size soft wheels you were talking about. Unfortunately, if they're for a three wheel boot, they would probably be too big for these intermediate 4 wheel boots. If I read correctly, these boots will only take a 80mm maximum.

EDIT: Ha ha...maybe I'll just throw these old 4-blade rollerblades in the basket...and get a pair of RollerBlade Coyotes! Never heard of them before, but now that I see them, they look pretty cool...and with pneumatic wheels!!! Here's a vid of them in action. Note: The way this guy moves his knees when he skates, I bet he is a fairly competant ski-racer in the winter.

second try:

Y2zvxG6dgak

Edit: How come the standard video imbedding feature doesn't work?? Is it turned off on this forum?

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Y2zvxG6dgak&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Y2zvxG6dgak&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

http://www.theskateauthority.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2001&utm_source=nextag.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nextag.com

post-198-141842319469_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184231947_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842319472_thumb.jpg

just FYI... the Vanilla setup is strictly for training and racing on roads, trails and tracks.

For sure, the photos are simply examples of larger dia. wheels for skates.

I would definitely classify them as "Speed Skates" , I don't know if they still do it, but at one time , they would open up the Memorial Coliseum for skating. Picture very large circle of super smooth concrete. :biggthump

Another thought might be to use the larger wheels from scooters and turn them down. I see plenty of those at cut rate prices??

post-198-141842319481_thumb.jpg

<OBJECT height=405 width=500>

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Y2zvxG6dgak&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></OBJECT></P>

http://www.theskateauthority.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2001&utm_source=nextag.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nextag.com

Hah ha.....FOUR wheel skates??? Never seen THOSE before....not with those size wheels!!! Maybe soon, we'll all be back to steel-wheeled roller-skates!! Hah hah.

I was never very good at roller-skating. I don't know why roller-blading is so much easier, but it is. I could barely stand up on roller-skates! I remember those days...even with rubber wheels it was hard.