Note to New Members ×

Good or bad?! FIS bans one-piece racesuit

Erwin

I Agree with Banning speed suits, and not just because i look so fantastic in one (note the sarcasm)

For younger riders, in Ontario, Quebec, the Yukon, and other Northern (Cold) locations, frostbite and hypothermia are a very serious concern. Also when it used to be 2 runs you could bring a spare jacket, have it at the bottom of the hill and get warm as soon as you were done your run. Now with PGS and up to 10 runs the jacket hide and seak becomes tough.

Another issue could be: when people crash do they slide further in a speed suit or in a jacket or pants? And now that we are racing side by side will this decrease the chance of a rider crashing and sliding into the course of their competitor?

I do think that using the reason of keeping to the spirit of snowboarding is disingenuous. This is a race, so riders should want to go as fast as they can against their competitors. If all aren't wearing speed suits i am cool with it. But i want to avoid having someone standing at the top of the course with a ruler pinching peoples pants and shirts saying that they have 5 cm of bag, when they need 8 and are disqualified.

This can be done as long as we are all reasonable about it.

Another issue could be: when people crash do they slide further in a speed suit or in a jacket or pants?

The speedsuit regulations were created to slow down the athlete after a fall. Speedsuit have to meet criteria for air penetration ( they can't be slick, rubber style ). This criteria help friction with snow after a fall, to slow down the athlete. But the same criteria allow cold air on the athlete, chance of frostbite/hypothermia.

A "slick" material as a 3-ply Goretex/nylon will prevent cold air and keep the athlete warm, but it will slide faster on snow after a fall than "speedsuit", depending on suit design of course.

:biggthump

Superbee

I think this is a great move, as a person interested in racing in the next upcoming season. When evaluating the costs of a mostly not widely funded sport such as alpine snowboarding, clothing costs can add up. This change makes it acceptable for an athlete not to purchase a $300+ GS suit, and to race in their normal riding gear. Just my .02 worth, as someone looking to compete.

-Scott

The speedsuit regulations were created to slow down the athlete after a fall. Speedsuit have to meet criteria for air penetration ( they can't be slick, rubber style ). This criteria help friction with snow after a fall, to slow down the athlete. But the same criteria allow cold air on the athlete, chance of frostbite/hypothermia.

A "slick" material as a 3-ply Goretex/nylon will prevent cold air and keep the athlete warm, but it will slide faster on snow after a fall than "speedsuit", depending on suit design of course.

:biggthump

Superbee

A little OT:

If the suit was rubber like...

Wouldn't it eventually (at a slow enough speed) grip the snow and ragdoll the rider?