Note to New Members ×

sliding wheel choice?

Arclite

My next buy is going to be a set of wheels for sliding, any recommendations?

I've been looking at the

Earthwing Slide A's

And

Gravity Sergio Yuppie Super Sliders

Has anybody used these?

The slide A's are about 8 bucks more, but from what I've heard is that its worth the extra money for durability and control reasons.

Slide wheels......I have burned up a set of each....my views are as a 43year old skater and may not reflect your skillset or opinions

the Sergios are a great wheel for fast slides, I mean really fast they give you control when you want to spin a 360s and you are hauling a55 on a big hill but they are really hard to keep from flat spotting at lower speeds. mine machine gunned pretty quick

Slide A's there is a reason they are the industry standard, control, wear, flatspot resistance, nice meaty shape. good performance at lower more human speeds. you can flatspot them I have one wheel with the beginnings of a flatspot right now. but they are much nicer than the alterative. Not sure who pours the Sergios but the SlideA's are poured at Creative Urethane from one of the premium thanes not one of the cheap ones Brian (at earthwing) is constantly tweaking the recipe to get more out of the wheel.

Uhm...what does a seized bearing sound like?

I think I might have one...

if you are unlucky nothing until you faceplant if you are lucky it sounds lie the bearing seat on your wheel melting away as the wheel starts to disintegrate.

It's a 'tick tick tick' noise as the wheel rotates, only on one wheel.

most likely the bearing retainer (see picture) has failed/cracked in one of the two bearings in a wheel. that is the reason I keep all my bearing so I can replace one or two as things like this happen

skateboard-bearing-maintenance.jpg

It's a 'tick tick tick' noise as the wheel rotates, only on one wheel.

Arc - this is also often a bad speed ring - if you are using speed rings. Hard to isolate (by switching one out at a time) but it's cheap to replace them all yearly anyway. The speed ring actually can become "S" shaped (viewed on edge) or can have the inner edge pushed one way and the outer edge the other...kind of a "bowl" with no bottom. Can usually only see this when using a magnifying glass to inspect them.

-RF

your local sk8shop doesn't stock speedrings?????? yes it is silly to order them online unless you are buying other stuff....I have a bering sleeve thats about half full of speedrings along with 2 sleeves of steel bering spacers

your local sk8shop doesn't stock speedrings?????? yes it is silly to order them online unless you are buying other stuff....I have a bering sleeve thats about half full of speedrings along with 2 sleeves of steel bering spacers

I don't really have a "local" skateshop.... :mad:

I definitely need to stock up on spacers and rings.

Had a very brief slide session on my sidewalk, just to make sure I could slide on my set up right now.

It's just my normal freestyle board with indy bases and reynolds hangers, with some "dualtech" 51 wheels (or something along those lines)

I have another deck thats a tad widers and longer, which I might use instead.

But i like the deck im on right now for freestyle better than the other deck.

We'll see.

You live in greater LA and you're gonna tell me you don't have a skateshop?

That's like saying I wish we had more places for surfboards down here!

Google Maps.

It means I don't have time, and they are surprisingly far away from where I live.

Keep in mind, I don't live with my dad in West LA.

I live on the outskirts of LA, woodland hills area.