Note to New Members ×

SnowPro Race LTD Step-in

I bought a pair of SnowPro Race LTD Step-in bindings from Dan Yoja http://www.upzboots.com/ on sunday night and they arrived today. After speaking with Dan, he felt that they would offer the convenience and flex that I want in an all-mountain setup. Further discussions with other BOL members convinced me to try them, plus they are hard to beat at their price point. They are also designed to work with the UPZ boots perfectly, so that made it easy too.

The bindings aren't as easy to setup as the Bombers, but also don't require different cant plates for lift. Everything is included and the instructions are quite clear. The heels and t-nut hardware are also included, which again saves on cost.

I set everything up in my kitchen, on the boots and on the board. Angles are easy to setup as is the amount of lift/cant required. The rear binding comes with a handle, which can be replaced with the small included handle like the front if desired.

I will have to wait until next winter to test it all out, but it won't be long before it snows again soon.

Bindings and parts included

850244697_ZtD5K-XL.jpg

850243820_ujbxR-XL.jpg

850241934_ccQrS-XL.jpg

850242958_ziLQH-XL.jpg

850220297_TsjoX-XL.jpg

Front foot, toe lift, no cant

850217918_CHizj-XL.jpg

850218770_tjSRt-XL.jpg

Rear foot, heel lift, inward cant

850221785_ZuyGN-XL.jpg

850219557_bk6tn-XL.jpg

Installed at 45/40. No hangover on front foot, rear has some.

850208224_9C6ns-XL.jpg

850207424_yLpUJ-XL.jpg

850212177_EzHwb-XL-1.jpg

Bora, I am long time Bomber fan and normally ride TD bindings due to the reliability. A few years ago I picked up some of the standard bail SnowPro Race bindings for a smoking deal to use on my stash of boards in LA.

My weight is about 160 lbs and my riding skill is average. After a few hours of riding, the 4 mounting screws on the plastic center disks tend to lose torque. Even had a binding shift 30 degrees while riding. I think this is mainly a function of the plastic material used.

You will want to keep a #3 Driver in your pocket and check those mounting screws a few times during your day on the hill.

Enjoy your new set-up! Tom

Bora, I am long time Bomber fan and normally ride TD bindings due to the reliability. A few years ago I picked up some of the standard bail SnowPro Race bindings for a smoking deal to use on my stash of boards in LA.

My weight is about 160 lbs and my riding skill is average. After a few hours of riding, the 4 mounting screws on the plastic center disks tend to lose torque. Even had a binding shift 30 degrees while riding. I think this is mainly a function of the plastic material used.

You will want to keep a #3 Driver in your pocket and check those mounting screws a few times during your day on the hill.

Enjoy your new set-up! Tom

Thanks for the tip Tom. I have a small screwdriver set that fits in your pocket and is round everywhere so I won't be stabbed.

I will tighten everything up on the hill when it is cold so that it stays tight.

Another Snowpro trick is to wet-mount the bindings. It would create such a sticky effect (on gloss top boards) that it will never rotate. You'll actually struggle to get the gasket off the board.

But yes, definitelly tighten up everything in the cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of these but I went back to the standard toe clip after popping out of them a few times.

Really make sure that you are clipped in and that it is nice and solid before heading down the hill. I found that a short phillips head screwdriver made a good ice pick and was also useful for binding tweaks on the mountain. Getting ice out of the holes in the boot heels is annoying!

Matt

• 6 months later...

I used them today on the Dynastar 166 today. They worked great and I put changed them so the front binding had inward cant.

Step, click, step click, easy as pie. No spinning, but you can't turn them less than 18 degrees. This isn't a huge deal, but something to note.

I was running them at F30/R25 and needed to add a bit more front angle. I didn't notice anything wrong or right with them in my short time on them, so I will take that as a very good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the bindings today on my Prior 4WD. After the last day I checked them and they were coming loose. I have loctited everything in place and there were no issues today.

They do offer a bit of side-to-side flex in them, which is unlike my TD2s. I assume that they are similar to the TD3 Sidewinders. Nothing broke today under my 215 lbs frame.

Settings:

F - 50 degrees with 3 degrees inward cant

R - 47 degrees with 3 degrees inward cant and full heel lift

I did get a total of 12 miles of riding in today before my feet, lungs, and thighs were burning. You know that feeling when you almost throw up the yogurt you have 2 hrs before for breakfast? Well that is the trigger to tell you that it is time to stop and spend more time in the gym.

• 2 weeks later...

I have since changed the settings on the bindings to try and get rid of my front leg burn. If both legs burn that is good, but just the front means something must be off.

F - 50 degrees with 0 degrees inward cant, no heel lift, full height toe pad.

R - 47 degrees with 3 degrees inward cant, no heel lift, low height toe pad.

This should force a bit more weight back to the rear leg. I also centered the bindings on the board's effective edge to see what kind of feel that gives.

• 1 month later...