Note to New Members ×

Reflections on my first season....

Sultan Guy

Since I have recently passed my first year anniversary of being a BOL member and just ended my first season of carving I thought it would be appropriate to share some thoughts with the community.

I spent many years racing fast narrow tippy, highly specialized wildwater kayaks down Class 3-4 whitewater rivers. This sport involves highly precise boat control narrowly missing rocks. When I first saw someone at my local hill in March 2009 on a carving snowboard I knew instantly that was for me. After 5 seasons on a regular softy setup I had started getting bored with snowboarding. The typical thing, yearning for powder, complaining about only groomers to ride on when off piste was cement, etc.

Now one year later I am so psyched on this sport and am proud to have followed my intuition. Here are some highlights:

• Got 42 days in this season, beat my old record of 31
  • Bought two used boards for $300 each, traded one, bought another for $200
  • Still remember the amazing feeling when I got my first high speed deep toe side carve. I now yearn for that "down" time.
  • Learned all about lift/cant/stance etc.
  • Got to add my own "Heard in the lift-line" comments to the thread
  • Learned to put a killer sharp edge on my boards
  • Frayed my first set of gloves
  • Got to hear a lifty sheepishly tell me that a skier had complained about me taking up the entire mountain :)
  • Cut up more corduroy then all my other seasons combined
  • Caught more first chairs then all seasons combined
  • Went to Crystal for my first carving group session
  • Went to work often with fried legs
  • Satisfaction of riding up the lift and seeing nice deep trenches from far off :cool:
  • Was actually able to post some decent advice to someone even newer then me
  • Met several other great carvers

In summary through the BOL Team here I have learned and progressed so much. Thanks for the great season! :biggthump