Note to New Members ×

longboarding sessions

Arclite

I can think of a spot by my place that has a good spot for a slalom course, and it has a really long runout too, so we don't have to bail/coleman slide at the end.

It's a dead end with very little car traffic too. It's in a business/industrial area though, so the cops patrol it a little bit. They usually leave me alone, except for this one female cop that had something to prove...

I'm in the process of shopping for a slalom board I can actually use - unfortunately the Axe is unusable for me... I don't like the kick tail or the rock solid stiffness. Stiff is good, but not rock hard. Gonna see if I can sell the Speedvents and/or the Axe too.

That axe is mine ;)

Just gimme a few weeks to save up.

If you really want it, I'll sell it to you all setup with the risers, toe stop, and mounting hardware for $20 (including one of your CDs :biggthump). You gotta provide your own trucks and wheels though (which you have plenty of).

If you really want it, I'll sell it to you all setup with the risers, toe stop, and mounting hardware for $20 (including one of your CDs :biggthump). You gotta provide your own trucks and wheels though (which you have plenty of).

DONE! :biggthump

Hey all,

I am up for a few sessions. I just need to buy the gear. Any suggestions?

Loaded complete.

Id go with the new tan tien or dervish.

You could go with a speedboard though, landyatchz and rayne are good boards in that area

What kinda board would you want? Disciple?

Id go with the new tan tien or dervish.

You could go with a speedboard though, landyatchz and rayne are good boards in that area

What kinda board would you want? Disciple?

He's making fun of your typo...

Robert, as for boards, I would look into EarthWing. They make affordable boards that are a good combination of being stable at speed and carvy, with the proper truck and bushing setup.

You could also look at Cracked Skulls - they make good starter decks and come with good components (trucks/wheels) that you can easily move over to a more expensive deck once you figure out what you want.

anyway, here's a link to shop and look around at.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/longboardcompletes.aspx

I gave you a link to longboard completes. As for brands to look at, Loaded is a good place to start since they make carvy boards. Contrary to Arclite's recommendation, I would stay away from downhill boards as your first and only board, mainly since as a snowboarder, you're probably looking more for a carvy snowboard feel rather than bombing hills at crazy speeds where you're pretty much just straight-lining and not turning much.

You'll probably want a board with flex, rather than a rock solid one, but you don't want something like a noodle.

Name a few boards that look interesting to you and maybe we can tell you a little bit of what you might be getting or give you suggestions of alternatives.

I don't think mammoth would be good for skating or sliding right now. The problem arises with all the cinders that they throw down for traction on the snow. When the snow melts the road is covered in those cinders, it takes many weeks for the cars to blow them to the side to have a clear carving lane. How do I know this? They use those same cinders down here and riding a road bike in the mountains right after the snow goes away sucks. Those cinders act like ball bearings when you go to corner on them!

If you're interested, there is a spot by my house that seems promising.

I need to check it out first, but me and my friends saw it on google maps and we liked the look.

I highlighted it with yellow.

and to get an idea of how far it is from you, my address is

23235 burbank blvd woodland hills CA 91367

and MacFarlane Dr is only about 2 miles from my house

post-7736-141842314169_thumb.jpg

I just checked out the area around MacFarlane.

You have to be very careful, some of the roads are very narrow, steep, or too much traffic.

Here are a few addresses of some nice locations around there.

4818 Bruges Ave.

4922 Azucena Rd. (not exactly the right place, but the right area)

4804 Excelente Dr.

Bruges is a steep sweeper, but no traffic at all, and nice pavement, and wide enough to just move 20 feet then slide, and repeat.

Azucena is a "higher class" area and we might get in trouble with the locals after a few runs, but there are a few runs around there

Excelente is a shallow-grade, low traffic area.

So if we do go, we might have to look around a bit before settling on one location.

You live in too much of a densely populated city.

I'm in the suburbs where there's nothing but houses - hardly any commercial zoning and not much to see tourist or people wise.

The only reason to come to Walnut is because you live in Walnut.

Check this out for a slalom boarding section (those are 18 wheeler trucks parked on the side for reference of how big the street is). Car traffic is like 1 car every 30 minutes or something - it's a dead end and has the perfect starting slope and an awesome run out - I'll pass by tomorrow and take some pictures of the spot when I try out the board your dad cut for me :biggthump

2lmb49v.jpg

Here's a spot for down hill. As you can see, every single street/area here dead ends. There's only one way into this place. So, the only people coming through are nosy people and people that live there. It's plenty hill and has very low car traffic too.

The area was just developed into housing around 2 years ago, so google maps doesn't even have it properly mapped out with the most current satellite photos.

29ncg43.jpg

The roads at both areas are pretty new and very smooth.

I didn't get to take any pictures, but I did ride the board your dad cut for me - pretty awesome for a short first impression.

Not putting any grip tape on a laquered board... haha, makes for a good way to slip off of it. Hopefully sk8kings gets those foam blocks in and mails them out soon so I can throw some grip tape on the board already.