Note to New Members ×

Son wants to get into carving

figinsguy

Got my spud interested into doing trenches. Unfortunately he has larger feet than the old man. Got him some size 31.5 hard boots and some TD2's. Any thoughts out there as to a good wide carving board to start him on that doesn't break the bank. He is between 200 and 210 lbs. A lot of boards I am seeing in classifieds are for lighter riders.

Was gonna' put him on my Coiler AM and ride the old Ultra Prime, but don't know if I wanna' leave my Coiler. For starting out, the Ultra Prime is probably a bit narrow for his feet.

Any thoughts, or if someone has anything they are looking to get rid of in their quiver?

Prior ATV can also be a good start. It's primarily designed for beginner alpine snowboarders.

It's a quite relaxing board to ride, especially on beginner and intermediate slopes and it's got a wide waist (23.5cm) as well, which may suit your son's feet quite well.

You can sometimes find used ones here as well as directly from the prior snowboard website. They do sell used ones, demos, or new ones with cosmetic defects and do some good deals during spring.

The bad thing about the board? Your son may quickly grow out of it and want better board...!

Thanks guys! He has been doing pretty good on his freeride softboot carving. The Prior may be the direction to head down the road. Will keep an eye out for the Prior. Think I'm putting him on my Coiler AM and I picked up a Coiler FC for me to ride with him. He will be threatened not to cause harm to my baby. Thanks again for input.