Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Update.

Guest OCD

It’s Tuesday night but I thought that you would all appreciate a weekend update. Mammoth last Fri Sat and Sunday was awesome. Ego snow was banded about on the lifts and it was just that. Forget about sharpening edges, the snow was so perfect you could ride as freely as you liked. It was softer on Friday as there had been snow but by Sunday it was as good as it gets. My friends preferred the earlier conditions but the groomed stuff was so good. There were a few sections that stayed pretty much untouched all day which was unreal. I was riding a new board, a yellow Rossi slayer, a few years old now but it had not seen snow until the trip and it ripped. Blue skies all weekend with the exception of perhaps a 20 minute period when the clouds came over and produced flat light conditions. I don’t mean to frustrate those with no access to snow but man it was good!

Were you the one I met outside of McCoy station, I was headed down to Ch. 2. You talked for a bit and then took off? I was on a Prior 179 4WD. I met someone on a carving board there, can't remember your name though. This was on Friday, I agree with you that the snow was most awesome, and you say it was even better by Sunday?? It was pretty warm when we left on Friday afternoon. I figured the snow would be getting sticky.

Oldvolvosrule,

I may have met you but cannot be sure. I was with a friend and came over when I got off the gondola at the 1st stop. Were you with a lady carver? I saw a couple of riders, someone on an F2 and someone in a long jacket on a Burton. Both rode well from my vantage on the lift. I rode lift #1 a lot and watched a guy on a soft set up really carving well….would have been cleaner in hard boots, (He probably does both). The softer flex just did not appear to provide the stability when he pushed it, his lines got ragged in areas…..great though>don’t get me wrong.

As far as grooming goes, the runs I rode on were compact and smooth. The main runs got cut up to the end of the day but even then the base was so stable you could cut through the crud. I would go again but my toe is jacked, I’m going to loose my left toenail, very painful and a pain in the ass. I went to Footloose and they popped the toe and reheated my liners but I don’t know>my boots still feel shi**y. A bad fit really sucks. They were ok last year but something must have happened over the summer that affected the fit and now I’m paying.

OCD, yep, that was me that you met there. That was Vallyn I was riding with, she is also a poster here on BOL. We just happened to meet up by chance. Of course, I immediately saw the BOL sticker on her board.

I was up at Mammoth with my dad, he said something funny. He claimed that when hardbooters ride they must emit a strong pheremone as they tend to attract other carvers, then it turns into the social thing.

I also met Don? from San Diego, he was on a purple Prior 174 4WD.

Sorry to hear about your toe, never experienced that type of situation myself. I must have a foot that is identical to the last that mfr's use to make liners, I never had a problem with fit, even in ski boots.

Guest Jim Pryor

Interesting thread. Sounds like Mammoth had Aspen like conditions. You know the kind where every turn is in the bank. Yea Alpine riders do attract. Met my good friend John Fuji at Mammoth 5 years ago and now we ride often. Anyway I've put this little sesh together the last few years "The January June Jam" Jan. 3-7. We like the courdoroy at June and no crowds. There will be about 10 riders. Check it out. jp

Thomas,

I'll keep an eye out for you. With the mountain only partially open, we'll probably find all of the other carvers on the mtn no problem.

Jim: You got that right about June. I love carving there. Impeccably groomed, perfect pitches, and zero crowds!