Note to New Members ×

PSA: Physics bindings failure... it will happen

DiveBomber

Oh, good job, you just fed them what they wanted.

How long have you been riding physics, what other bindings do you have?

Yeah, I know..

Riding physics for more than 10 years now. Tried other bindings only when testriding other boards. Most of them felt too hard for me (the bindings, not the boards).

I'm quite puzzled myself that I never broke a board or something (*knockonwoodagain*). But I've been using very stiff high end custom boards (virus) for many years now, that could be part of an explanation. I think there are not many riders who put more pressure on the board or ride harder/faster.

When I say I broke physics parts I'm counting in my brothers who also ride them, and since we have kind of a gear pool I cannot clearly differentiate between parts they broke and parts I broke.

Still, there is clear evidence that the physics are getting old and fatigued and I would not recommend using them anymore to anyone who isn't as nostalgic as me. No doubt about that.

What I want to say is IMO there is something missing on the market. My credits to the binding manufacturers, they are doing a great job for the sport, but I'd personally rather go for a more simple solution. And I'd love to see a step-in system that's not Intec.

Maybe the new Virus Powerlock II is a step in that way, but as long as I haven't seen it I doubt it.

• 1 month later...

sh.. :( you try and try NOT to translate from german to english and then it happens without you even noticing. Grundplatte..

Uhm.. base plate. The big steel thing about 25 cm long and 15 cm wide and 5 mm thick. With the big hole in the middle.

Every other part of the binding is attached to it.

Broken under the heel exactly where the T-nuts are.

I want to echo some other comments made here about the physics bindings.

I think that the design is excellent, but the execution was poor. Because of the cost of production, the manufacturer was forced to use materials that weren't as strong as they should be. I have not seen another binding that has the stiffness to weight ratio that the race physics (speed hooks used) is capable of. I used them for a little while with aluminum discs and burton fire boots on a sims burner 188.

Unfortunately I broke two of the plastic baseplates in two days. After that I wouldn't use them anymore.

I miss them, but burton raceplates are fine for me now.

later,

Dave R.

Just an update:

Broke another binding. Same sort of failure, T-nuts and ground plate at the same time. It was the second binding of the pair. Now both are broken.

seems like "end of life" breakage. done that year ago with f2 race titaniums - both bindings broke in a couple of weeks, after 5yrs of use (actually 3 consecutive breaks - both heel bails & one t-nut under heel). seems like it must be replaced & disposed every 200 (or so) riding days.