Note to New Members ×

Need some help

Strider

HEy guys(and gals),

I volunteer for Special Olympics and a friend of mine is sports director for our state. We have been putting together a snowboarding manual for the National Special Olympics that will be posted on their website. We have the teaching progressions and race rules done and refined(I've taught for over 12 years and volunteered for 6). However, we have been looking for some good training exercises. This would include off season-dryland traing, and race training exercises. I searched the forums and pulled some good ones, but it is always nice to have more. The 3 types of races that the athletes compete in are superG, GS, and Slalom.

If you can post a good exercise, written in a way that we can adapt to the manual we would really appreciate it. We will give credit in the manual to each person who suggests something that we can use.

Here is a little more info from Bob about Special Olympics:------

Special Olympics offers sports training and Athletic competition to persons 8 years of age and up who have cognitive disabilities. The Special Olympics events for snowboarding are the Slalom, Giant Slalom and Super Giant Slalom. These courses are set up at a similar level of difficulty to what you might find at an adult NASTAR race.

While it is difficult to characterize the abilities of a group of individuals with varying degrees of cognitive function and ability, most often adult Special Olympics Athletes have athletic ability that is similar to what you might find in a non-cognitively disabled middle school student. Of course there are Athletes who fall above and below that level within the program.

Thanks for the help

:)

Thanks Jack. I have gone through that thread and it was a good one. I was just seeing if anyone had any more drills out there, written a little more in depth. I guess I'll just have to expand on the concepts myself :D The powers that be are really pushing us hard to get it done(we've been working on it for over a year) and I'm swamped at my regular job right now so haven't been able to devote much time and I thought the people here would be a great resource.