Note to New Members ×

NOR-AM - Mt. Batchelor - Feb.4.2010

yyzcanuck

CANADIAN ALPINE SNOWBOARDING TEAM SHOWS DOMINATION AT FIS NOR-AM CUP IN THE UNITED STATES

Canadian women sweep Nor-Am Podium; two guys take first and third spot

(Mt Batchelor, USA – February 4, 2010)

The Canadian Alpine Snowboard Team proved today they are ready for the 2010 Olympic Games by taking home five of the six available medals at the FIS Nor-Am Cup race at Mount Batchelor in the United States.

The event is part of a training camp to finalize last preparations for the team heading to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

In women’s racing, the Canadian women swept the podium, taking the first four spots. Alexa Loo (Richmond, BC) took home the gold medal by defeating teammate Caroline Calvé (Aylmer, QC) in the gold medal dual.

Kimiko Zakreski (Calgary, AB) won the bronze medal by edging Ariane Lavigne (Mont-Tremblant, QC) in the bronze medal dual.

The riders fought extreme weather conditions, racing in a massive snowstorm.

“They fought hard today for these results. We’re really happy to have been able to post those results in the conditions that the riders had to face,” said Sylvain Jean, Coach of the Canadian Alpine Snowboarding Team.

In Men’s action, Michael Lambert (Toronto, ON) defeated Chris Klug of the United States of America in the ultimate duel. Jasey-Jay Anderson took the bronze.

Matt Morison (Burketon, ON) was back at racing in today’s race after sustaining a left elbow fracture earlier in December at the LG Snowboard FIS World Cup in Telluride. Morison did not finish.

The Alpine snowboarding team will head back to the race hill tomorrow in a second PGS in FIS Nor-Am action prior to their arrival at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, BC.

Gongrats to Mike L. I really like the way he is peaking at the right time. The kid is in a good state of mind, I like his chances at the Olympics. I just hope the snow conditions don't affect the mind set of all our snowboarders. To bad for Matt, not sure weather he has enough time to recover in time to be at his peak. My money is still on JJ, Go Canada Go :biggthump