Note to New Members ×

Trouble with ski boots

skategoat

All you guys carving in ski boots, I need a bit of advice.

Last year, I tried my son's Nordica W12s. They are a 90 flex. After an initial awkward feeling, I got to carving nicely with these. I was pleasantly surprised because I ride fairly soft Raichle hard boots with yellow BTS springs.

So I picked up a pair of Dalbello Krypton Cross over the summer. For flex, it says 8-15, whatever that means. I have the top buckle done up loosely. Same with the booster strap.

Two times out with them and I'm riding like crap. Both times, I took insane misty flips when I hooked the nose. I think the ski boots don't like my forward, low riding style. I definitely ride in a crouch and drive my weight forward to initiate a turn.

Any tips here? Do I need to mod these boots? Change my style of riding? Ditch them altogether?

I believe that the Krypton Cross has an advertised flex range of 90-140. That being said, I don't think that all ski manufacturers use the same scale for flex as I've found quite a difference in the same rated flex using different boots. My Kryptons set up at 140 don't feel the same as my Lange WC's at a 140 flex.

I'm assuming that you have the Kryptons set with the soft tongue and no stiffeners. The Kryptons are very stiff laterally with or without flex adjusters and are probably stiffer than your sons boots. If you have the Gold liners they stiffen up the boot quite a bit also.

I ride in Raichle Freezone skiboots with BTS installed.They are probably about an 80 front and 70 rear flex(bts springs arranged asymetrically),but among other things, what I like is the fact that the shell from above the sole up is exactly the same shape as my 324s, and fit exactly like them.This has facilitated switching between Intec boots and bindings on my freeride boards to skiboots on my longboards very comfortably.

I've found that it is more important to have snug top buckles and power straps with loosened heel buckles than the other way around.Assuming there is still good heel hold,it gives the needed flex to the part of the boot where it is most effective.I use horseshoe pads on both liners to help with heel hold without the need for super tight heel buckles.

My sister, 'TrenchWench' currrently rides on 04 Rossignol B2 Bandit ski boots.They work very well for her for several reasons and are easier to buckle around larger calves.They also look really cool.I have been very impressed with how the boots flex and react to her input.Probably better for boarding than for skiing as they weren't especially popular for skiing.

The rigidity of the soles is something that you may learn to love like I do,but I do miss the flexibilty of the 324 sole when I'm doing tricks.The trade off has been a more precise and powerful,but less sensitve feel to edge and pressure movements.With the 210 being my favorite board right now,I really enjoy the skiboots' heightened ability to control it's length and mass.

Jack, the board is a Coiler 178 FreeCarve metal. I used the same board with the Nordicas and the Dalbello Kryptons. Bindings are F2 Race Titanium standard bails.

I was really happy about picking up the Dalbellos because I thought this was the ski boot of choice for riding plates. But I am risking life and limb based on the my first two days out.

I know the tongues are black. Not sure about the liners. Will check when I get home.

The black tongues are the stiff ones. The medium flex are charcoal gray. The black without any stiffening inserts make the boot a 120 flex, I think. There are softer tongues than the charcoal available but I'm guessing that if you want to use the boots for both skiing and boarding that the softest tongues would be too soft for skiing unless you're really light.