Note to New Members ×

Coiler X5 (Monster 188 lightweight)

MUD

Hey all,

As many of you know I am the new owner of Shred's X5.

After talking to Bruce, I know it is a Monster 188, 15/16m sidecut, no topsheet with a "lightweight" core. It is 1 lb lighter than the stock monster. The lack of topsheet and the light core are the only differences.

I will say this first. IT ROCKS!

It is a VERY easy board to ride, with a decambered nose and tail it doesn't feel like a 188 at all, very easy to move around. I was a little hesitant about the sidecut, but it doesn't seem to matter. If you want to ride it tight, just do it. Let it run and it is SUPER stable. The only time I got it to complain a little is when I carved down a rutted up ski course after they pulled the gates, and even then it hardly balked.

I have only ridden it in soft, slow snow and soft snow with a hard base. I am hoping to get it out on some ice before the end of the season to see what it does.

One thing I can't say anything about is the width. It is a 23cm waist, I like wide boards. I run my bindings at 57/54 with a 30 boot with NO boot out, there is still room for lowering the angle to play a little. It does not seem slow from edge to edge, but I am rather used to wide boards so I can't really say. I can say it doesn't feel any slower than my old Donek FCII with a 19.5 waist, and does feel faster than my Axxess with a 22.5.

This board is a serious quiver killer.

I will update this as I go.

Here is an update.

The more I ride this board, the more I like it.

A few things I have found:

If you move the bindings around, it changes its attitude. If I think it is going to be a busy day, I mount the bindings forward keeping my normal stance. It will really tighten it up nicely. If It is a quiet day, I mount them in the middle. It will still tighten it up, but it is more work. I think I tend to like it mounted forward a little more, mid mounting makes the runs really short.

This is a FAST board. It doesn't really care how fast you are going, but it goes fast very well.

I rode that exact board last Feb and had a good time. I remember my first time rolling it over, I was on a run out road to the hill we were testing on so I was going slow. I rolled it over just to see how it would react, Nothing happened:eek:, That was because I wasnt going fast enough to bend the thing. Im only 180 and once I got up to speed the Monster came alive. Great board, it laughed at speed and held no matter what I did to it. I would really like to get one that was built for my weight but I fear I dont have enough room to play it here.