Note to New Members ×

Help on Selecting a Board

skyjump

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice on buying a used preferably (or new) board and equipment. had been skiing since I was around 8 and decided to try snowboarding.

I rode my first board in the early 90's. Despite all warnings I choose a 163 Rossignol Race board - it looked cool and I could use my ski boots and I was on a college budget. I learned to ride and carve on that board and loved it.

After a hiatus because of kids I started skiing again. Wanting to get back into board I picked up a new board - there were no choices other than freestyle/softboot set ups. Well I hate smearing around on this thing I really want to carve again.

But its been years since I have had a carving or racing board and I have no idea what to get. I'm 5' 8", 150 lbs and a 29.5 boot size.

Can I use my ski boots?

What size/kind of board do I get?

What width?

What kind of bindings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ride in New England so we are mostly talking about groomed trails, crud and ice - very little powder and I have no plans to hit the park and ride any rails.

Thanks.

In short.

Do some searches, these topics have been brought up allot.

Check the ride board, the best thing you could possibly do is hook up

with some seasoned riders in your area.

Fill in more of your CP.

Welcome to BOL!!

Really, try "Search".

Can I use my ski boots? Yes, but don't

What size/kind of board do I get? Metal Coiler of course!!

What width? Depends on your stance angles, you have a big foot, probably around 20cm if possible

What kind of bindings? Bomber TD3 , you are on his website right?

F2s would be ideal for a lighter rider just returning to hardboots. Possibly Burton Race plates (less expensive)

Now do your homework. Read Jack's articles. Search.

Befriend some old fart that carves at your local hill?

Once again, Brian from oldsnowboards.com is on the money.

My .02 is that if you're on a limited budget, concentrate on buying the best boots and bindings that you can afford. These 2 items are what connect you to the board and what will determine the comfort and performance of your riding.

My personal opinion is that it's way better to have excellent boots and bindings on mediocre board than the other way around.

Geo

For your foot size I would recommend looking for a board that is no less than 21cm wide, preferably 22cm. For length, depending on what size turns you want to make I would say between 163 and 171, and radius about 10 to 12m. If you were an advanced carver when you stopped, you could go longer. You can use ski boots although it's not ideal. For bindings if you go with Bomber TD3 you should get the soft e-rings for use with ski-boots.

If you weren't a very advanced carver when you stopped, you could start with that Rossi again if you still have it. In any case, the first step to getting back into carving is to master The Norm. You can practice that on softboots if that's all you have. It will make the transition to hardboots much easier.

When shopping for a new board, look to Prior, Donek, Coiler and Swoard. If money is no object, also check out Kessler, SG, and Virus. Sometimes used examples of these pop up in our classifieds.

There are some links below to help you get started, and you should DEFINITELY make plans to come to the East Coast Expression Session (ECES) at Stratton!

Good luck.