Note to New Members ×

Effective edge / Board size

Softcarver

I purchased the Nidecker Megalight and let the guy in the factory talk me into a 163XL. I did get a new leftover for a few hundred less than a new one. He seems certain that that is the right size for me despite the fact that I am 6'-2" and 205lbs. The next size up is a 167XL and I am torn. It would also cost me around $200 extra being that it is this years. Is it worth it? My current board is only a 164.5, but has a contact length that is actually a smidge more than the Nidecker 167 although it is not a free-ride board. We are talking about the 167 with a contact length of 1200 while the 163 is only 1160. The sticker on the board is what really scared me though because it max's the 163 out at 176lbs. Meanwhile the 167 is rated for 165lbs and up. The rep swears I'll be OK and will be surprised at how well the board handles. Does anyone have experience with this board that could also make a recommendation? I ride over here on the East Coast which has smaller resorts, but am a little apprehensive on reducing contact length from what I have now. Wouldn't a board with a similar contact length be close in comparison for maneuverability and edge hold or are there other more important factors that affect that? I do know that there are other factors such as SCR and stiffness, but am wondering how key contact length is.

what type of riding do you do?

witch resorts?

freestyle boards generally have shorter shovels than freeride boards.

we both have the same build and I ride from 58 to 73 in softs,depending on application

do you want the same board again or is this the start of a quiver?

I responded to this in another thread. I've ridden a 163XL for the last 5 years and I just bought an Ultralight in the same size. I am only 5-8, 155, and size 8's and I can maneuver this thing around crazy fast. I would definetely recommend going with the 167 for your size. I'm sure you could get by fine on the 63 but better with the 67.

what type of riding do you do?

witch resorts?

freestyle boards generally have shorter shovels than freeride boards.

we both have the same build and I ride from 58 to 73 in softs,depending on application

do you want the same board again or is this the start of a quiver?

I ride fast, but am just getting into carving and want to get better on edge. I ride more of a race GS style or Super G style and do not really ride with completed perpendicular to the slope carves but rather full speed with faster half carves. I am building a quiver and was looking to this board as my high performance all mountain board (Basically stable at speed and able to get on and hold an edge but also a few dips into the woods, hitting some natural features and the few POW days we see over here). I already have a jib and rock board. Next I will probably do something like the Donek Saber or similar for a fast carving board for days I'm stuck on the groomers and want the all out speed. I was thinking around a 171 for that stick. I have a house rental up by Stowe this season so there along with Smuggs and Sugar Bush will be my stomping ground. Thanks for the help.

EC shredder; I did see your response on the other thread.Thank you as well. I just figured starting my own thread for this would get me some more input. It is an extra $200 that I can put towards another stick in my quiver if I don't need to spend it now.

One other thing is that Nidecker specs the contact length not effective edge which is why the XL does not have a different number than the regular 163 despite 1m more sidecut radius.

However after riding this thing for 5 years I still say it is worth 200 more bucks for you to get the 167. That is only a few days worth of lift tickets these days. Take it or leave it.

I can maneuver this thing around crazy fast.

I never asked you what type of terrain you hit or how you ride. Does the 63 handle the trees with no issues? I am almost ready to send this board back.

That sucks that you are all the way down in Orlando. Do you get a place up here or do you just travel a lot?