Note to New Members ×

How nice... for how long?

bjvircks

yes, Kieran... they've mentioned things that could be interpreted that way. That is part of the need for discusions now.

I need to make it clear to them that the place represents a significant part of my financial well being and that I am not willing to endanger my future well being for them. If they are not going to be able to step up to a suitable token rent then things might begin to get uncomfortable. All things considered, a suitable rent in this case would not be 'full market rate'.... but I need to offset the taxes, insurance, routine costs, etc.

Have Becky & Larry got involved in a church locally since they moved in with you? If so, you could possibly go and have a talk with their pastor. The pastor may have more authority speaking with your relatives about the impact of their choices on those around them.

SunSurfer

I am in no way intimating that this is the case with your inlaws, and the legalities vary from state to state, but I'd be slightly wary of them making TOO many "improvements" to your property and home in an unbidden way, if they are there simply under a verbal agreement with no set guidelines nor parameters.

Certain states allow that if over a period of time, group B has been shown to be making "out of pocket" improvements to the property of group A, and are not told to cease in the making of said 'out of pocket improvements' in a timely manner and these said improvemnts continue over a period of time, then group B can be shown to be Principle In Part of said property.

Now normally, this clause pertains to abandoned property, but NOT always. The vital part of the clause is a lack of notice to cease and desist. There HAVE been incidents in some states whereby parties have actually gained control of property this way and that control was upheld by the Appeals Court as valid.

Not to worry in your case, though, as the period of time is usually like seven years or so, and they would need to keep a running tabulation of all receipts, and you would have had to have never said a word about the cessation of their "improvements" during that time. I'm sure none of the above would be the case in your present situation, and I doubt they would have such a sinister plan in mind, nor would they possibly be able to get away with that for the required seven years or whatever...and your state may have already thrown out such clause in the first place.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind, though. Sometimes good deeds get rewarded in the most fiendish of ways.