Note to New Members ×

Question for Computer Geeks - Win 7

C5 Golfer

Yep. I could offer a Quick Assist card if you would like.

As I mentioned before...its' the drivers in the USB. I'd call the manufacturer long before I went around looking for other PCs. USB are not "just" memory devices these day...they hold code.

I just tested the two USB drives in a WIN 7 computer... they work great... Hmmm..I am a nuts and bolts guy so please bear with me .. these two devices are quite old in computer life terms and Win 7 was not around when they were bought. So what I am hearing from you is the code inside my devices is faulty for Vista but is ok for Win7. The Question of the day is How did my USB drive code in 2 separate devices know about Win 7 before Win 7 was around.. Weird huh? :confused:

I think the manufacturer will actually laugh at me if I call them and say " your USB drive won't work in Vista but they do in XP and Win 7 - can you help me? -- Seriously - I really think they would laugh and then say " so why ya callin us?" ..- so I won't bother them.

BTW - One of them is a WD passport and the other is a 128MB Lexar Thumb drive.

Enough on this problem which is not really a problem in my house. I have a sign on the front door -- it says "Vista Free Zone"

Have a great day Kent.. I appreciate your help... and like I say -- your Loyalty is to be commended..:biggthump

It's relevent pointing out that upgrading an 8 year old OS is going to be difficult. In Apple's case, impossible. In Linux case, unthinkable.

this is true because the rest of the industry moves at a faster pace. upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 is possible and works fine. one skipped release, regardless of timeframe. face it kent, as far as OS development goes MS looks to be entering the place apple was with system 7 through 9. trying to maintain a dinosaur with a reluctant and fractured user base that fears updates because they are more hassel than they worth in the mind of the average user. the same gripes people have about vista and 7 you heard about OS 8 and 9 even though there WERE better than their predecessors.

from the back to front end the experience is inconsistent, a good example is window behaviors and the the new windows taskbar/OS X dock hybrid in windows 7.

actually upgrading from machine to machine with any version of OS X to 10.6 usually works fine by way of the migration assistant.

does windows even have anything like that? if it does, does it require you to remove a hard drive or make a external copy first?

I'll get back on topic. Kind of.

Kent, You have been running W7 on a netbook that is similar to mine. Are you running the full version? Is it "happy" with 1 gig of ram?

My question of a stripped down version stems from Vista not being happy with that little ram.

I can easily upgrade to 2 gig, and will do so soon, but would like to know you opinion anyway.

I'll get back on topic. Kind of.

Kent, You have been running W7 on a netbook that is similar to mine. Are you running the full version? Is it "happy" with 1 gig of ram?

My question of a stripped down version stems from Vista not being happy with that little ram.

I can easily upgrade to 2 gig, and will do so soon, but would like to know you opinion anyway.

Yes..my Acer runs the full "aero" on 1GB, but you can turn that off if you want.

Some would say a Win 7 machines like 512 rather than 1GB as it will run aero at 1GB. If that machine supports a 2GB chipset (1 chip or 2x?), then IMO make that upgrade. My upgrade cost $25 on newegg.

I haven't done any formal performance testing, but for $299, it's pretty damn cool....

Appears to be a very scientific lab environment to me!

Glad things are working....have you bought your copy of Win 7 yet?

Nope.. and I won't be able to until Solidworks certifies it for use with their software package. That is 90% of what I use a computer for, bells and whistles in an OS mean very little to me. I do not know Solidworks Schedule for this certification. One comment about that - I hear it works ok but the issue is I have maintence which I pay $1400 a year for :barf: and if I run it on an uncertified platform they will not offer any help if and when I need it. The other 10% is email, Bomber web site and of course Ebay. Other than that it is a golf club that my fingers like, and thank god my golf clubs work without an annual upgrade. :)

Yes..my Acer runs the full "aero" on 1GB, but you can turn that off if you want.

Some would say a Win 7 machines like 512 rather than 1GB as it will run aero at 1GB. If that machine supports a 2GB chipset (1 chip or 2x?), then IMO make that upgrade. My upgrade cost $25 on newegg.

I haven't done any formal performance testing, but for $299, it's pretty damn cool....

Cool, thanks for the info.

I was thinking the same thing about the RAM.

Crazy how cheap and useful these little buggers are huh? I love mine and I use it for everything from data acquisition (not processing) to fuel injection tweaking software.

This has been a damn good post! Thanks to all who have participated. I got to run a scientific experiment sans white paper and learn a bunch from all of the posts so far.

My day would be complete if someone could tell me why I hit "Start" to shutdown each day, but then again I may have the "Stop" button icon hidden and not know it is there. :nono:

This has been a damn good post! Thanks to all who have participated. I got to run a scientific experiment sans white paper and learn a bunch from all of the posts so far.

My day would be complete if someone could tell me why I hit "Start" to shutdown each day, but then again I may have the "Stop" button icon hidden and not know it is there. :nono:

Vista and Windows 7 do not have start buttons. Completely my fault to taking your bait in this whole thread as you're just creating noice. My apologies to all bystanders who had to watch the trainwreck. This is the internet equilavent to protesting at the university.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

Quite interesting. You may want to talk to your rep about their roadmap. Me thinkie someone is making certain you stay current with their software....

Vista and Windows 7 do not have start buttons.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

Quite interesting. You may want to talk to your rep about their roadmap. Me thinkie someone is making certain you stay current with their software....and it's not Microsoft.

I am currently 2009 SW -- which is not supported in Win 7, 2010 is not out yet.

So what would I ask my Rep?

I should expand on "2010 not out yet" -- you see Solidworks does a wonderful job of making money from the installed base out there as does its competitor Pro-E. If I were to upgrade to the 2010 ( I think SP0 is available ) version, I cause a big F'n headache for my clients. What this means is if I use 2010 then everyone I work with or around needs to also be 2010. A file made in 2010 cannot be opened in an earlier version of Solidworks. Sucks I know. so currently I have 4 clients with which I do consulting work, and 4 sheetmetal shops, several injection molding shops, and lawyer firms that receive my 3D native files have Solidworks 2009. So I cannot upgrade until all my clients and the shops who fab parts designed by me upgrade also. Get the picture?

If this situation were to exist in the Excel or Word world that would mean a bunch of upset users due to this: if you generated a file in 2007 Excel or Word - only those with 2007 Excel or later could open it - there would be a lot of pissed off people out there. Solidworks and Pro-E do not allow backward compatibility ... it keeps the $$ maintence machine flowing and there is not a damn thing I or we can do about it. So bottom line Kent -- when SW 2010 is out it is really not out until SP1 or SP2 and most of the SW world upgrades too... because they can not go backwards once it is used and files are generated in SW 2010.

As for being sceptic for Open Source being alternative, I would be more careful.

One should - and that includes Microsoft Marketing and Engineers at Redmond- install Linux and learn a bit about it. After all not doing this was a reason of failure of project Danger (your favorite Sidekick backup) at Microsoft putting Pink in doubt.

I do play with different OS'es and I worked for investment bank that did it as well for desktop purposes (BTW there are few of such banks to surprize major vendor of desktop systems).

I can tell that Linux Ubuntu is on track (it is not the same as any Linux distros so far). If you install Beryl interface on it then it becomes more sophisticated desktop than any Windows to date and it can be competitive to Mac OS X as far as features.

All of those systems require hardware to run something more advanced so there are no exceptions. The only exception is that installing Windows at some point forced you to do this regardless of how lightly you wanted to use it... regardless of purpose. That was the problem. Even Apple did not force you to do this when they changed from PowerPC processor to Intel. All programs worked in Rosetta mode smothly (yet a bit slower). And Power PC processor has been supported until now... that is until recent release - Snow Leopard dropped Power PC. That is 3 years after Apple switched its products to Intel.

Anyway, you may want to read some on this rather than skip it or quiet it down:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=26606&tag=nl.e539

Market base is now the biggest advantage for Microsoft to sell new system, but user satisfaction not anymore.