Note to New Members ×

Shooter buck or not?

jtslalom

These pictures were taken by my back yard trail cam. He might be an early season shooter but I think I will wait on the much bigger buck that had appeared a few nights before this one. I don't have a picture of the bigger one that I can post but it is considerably bigger and nine pointer.

post-217-141842286031_thumb.jpg

post-217-141842286035_thumb.jpg

There is a big that depends, as my answer to your question.

For me, I would only harvest this one if I were shooting with my recurve, as it has yet to take a buck, but it would also be a spur of the moment decision. If it were my compound/rifle/shotgun/bp I would pass. I would rather harvest a doe with those. (1) Because we have too many does in CT, (2) because I've taken larger with these implements and (3) because he has potential to grow larger.

But it would be a tough decision with my recurve in my hand. Also, I would not hunt specifically for this one. Great looking buck though!

I have a 6 point minimum rule for myself on bucks, but I may push that up this year to 8 or better.

PS...must be nice to hunt your backyard!