Note to New Members ×

Chunking Your Wheels?

Arclite

Hey there.

Beginning slider here.

I know you're supposed to break in your wheels before sliding.

And I've been riding on these wheels about 15 miles a week for 3 weeks before my sliding sessions last saturday.

Yesterday I noticed small small small small cracks in one of the wheels.

One crack is bigger than the others (nobody make a joke)

They're 76mm 83a wheels.

And its hard to get pictures its so small.

Are they starting to chunk?

Should I ride more and ease up on the sliding for now?

what kind of wheel? Slalom style/shape wheels will most often chunk, you want to slide either reshape the wheel or get a wheel more suited to sliding

You mean Square or Round?

Just cleaned my bearings...

Messy work.

Switching to my round wheels now.

You mean Square or Round?

Messy work.

square lipped wheels, Zigs, Seismics etc are intended for traction....they will slide but at the expense of wheel integrity (chunking)

Round lipped wheels, so called free ride wheels are intended for sliding (though most are good all round wheels) and will wear much better

Messy work.

Biltin bearings FTW!!! Super easy to clean. I just leave the shield on too, since it's only shielded on one side, and the shield isn't rubber or some other synthetic material that gets eaten up by alcohol.

Just slide onto the long screw, secure, add alcohol to half way mark, put in bottle, shake a bit, let sit for a few hours right side up, shake some more, then let sit upside down for a few more hours.

Oh yeah, and definitely round edged wheels for sliding. I'm gonna pick up some retro freerides. They're the perfect size too 72mm. Anything over 76mm is just overkill unless you have SUPER bad roads with cracks and crevices everywhere and really need bigger wheels to roll over it all.

Even better and faster - shake 'em with carb cleaner for 2 minutes, then drain (no need to let dry) on newspaper while cleaning the shaker bottle. Then shake 'em with alcohol one minute, remove, tap out the excess on newspaper and let 'em dry open side up. Must be completely dry before re-lubing with bearing oil. Can use a hair dryer but let cool completely before lubing.

I always use metal sheilded bearings with the inside shield popped off for good. This is purely for racing/speed - my free ride bearings get Pleasure Tools gel lube and rubber seals on both sides and get cleaned once a year or less.

My favorite slide wheels are bones orig or re-issue cubic or mini-cubics in 90+ duro - excellent! Most pool wheels will work great.

Get disposable rubber gloves for bearing cleaning - esp. if using the carb cleaner / alcohol method.

-RF

I've heard good things about Gumballs for sliding.

I find it hard to believe.

But can anyone verify this?

Biltin bearings FTW!!! Super easy to clean. I just leave the shield on too, since it's only shielded on one side, and the shield isn't rubber or some other synthetic material that gets eaten up by alcohol.

Just slide onto the long screw, secure, add alcohol to half way mark, put in bottle, shake a bit, let sit for a few hours right side up, shake some more, then let sit upside down for a few more hours.

Oh yeah, and definitely round edged wheels for sliding. I'm gonna pick up some retro freerides. They're the perfect size too 72mm. Anything over 76mm is just overkill unless you have SUPER bad roads with cracks and crevices everywhere and really need bigger wheels to roll over it all.

You lost me on the 2nd paragraph....

I just hosed them down with tri flow superior lubricant.

I was going off the "About - Skateboarding" website.

It said if you plan on wearing them out quickly

or if they were cheap bearings

then go the easy way and hose em down with tri flow.

It definitely worked though.

They're like $15 bearings.

Speedy Lunatic Abec 7's

I'll upgrade to some of Abec 11's weird lookin' bearings later.

Even better and faster - shake 'em with carb cleaner for 2 minutes, then drain (no need to let dry) on newspaper while cleaning the shaker bottle. Then shake 'em with alcohol one minute, remove, tap out the excess on newspaper and let 'em dry open side up. Must be completely dry before re-lubing with bearing oil. Can use a hair dryer but let cool completely before lubing.

I always use metal sheilded bearings with the inside shield popped off for good. This is purely for racing/speed - my free ride bearings get Pleasure Tools gel lube and rubber seals on both sides and get cleaned once a year or less.

I again, just hosed them down with lubricant.

Tri Flow Superior Lubricant - Aerosol Can

A lot of black looking smudge came out.

then I wiped the excess dirt off with a paper towel

And let them dry on 9 paper towels over night.

Nice and smooth! :biggthump