Note to New Members ×

Lift Assisted Mountin Biking

Chubz

Folks

Looking to get back into Mtb racing and DH but was wondering if there is a reasource that offers a listig of all lift assisted DH locations.

I can find them indiviudally, but then you have to get into reading the fine print b/c some of them on have lift access on days of special events and festivals.

If not, back to the www and phone calls

Greg

I don't know about a general list for you, but FYI, Killington offers gondola service all summer and fall. I have never used the gondola, but it never seems too busy. Lots of trails, and the features are getting improved each season.

Hey Chubz,

I cannot remember the name of the Mid Atlantic DH forum I used to use. When I remember it, I'll let you know. I searched and could not find it.

I am sure that you know about Blue this year. Let's hope that it catches on and they open with a real schedule in the future.

Denton is on a 3 weekend schedule this year - not surprising given their location.

Diablo and Seven Springs are the best bets in our area (7Springs is a little further). They are both open 7 days a week after July 4th.

Highland, NH is supposed to be the best place around now.

If you are on facebook, look me up. There are a lot of guys in the Philly and York areas that I do trips with every year. In Sept, we are going to Highland and either Diablo or Platty. We also go to Ray's at least once a year if not twice.

There are also a bunch of local places that we shuttle. I believe that one is up your way. It is called Glenn Park and it is near E. Stroudsburg I think? That place has some insane stuff.

The bottom line is that Diablo is the closest place and it has everything you could want in a mountain IMO. I love that place:

post-175-141842283293_thumb.jpg

post-175-141842283296_thumb.jpg

Phil

Check your mail.

Big deliberation is deciding whether I want full DH or an all-mountain. I still have a dual suspension custom Ted Wojcik that serves me for XC and trail, but looking for something to do DH (when local races occur) and hopefully learn small jumping and rhythm stuff.

Wife doesnt dig it , but She should know by now, I'm not sitting on the couch during any season and I had a bad cross-stitch accident a few years abck so any type of sewing or craft is out of the question.

Greg

Different mountains do it different ways. Here are some that I have seen:

Gondola where you carry it with you

Chairlift where you carry it with you (this sux)

Chairlift where a liftie puts it on a separate chair (usually using a bungee)

Chairlift where a liftie puts it on a separate chair with a bike rack

Chairlift with rack on the side

There is a bike rack that fits over the seat back of a chairlift and can be quickly removed. I think that this is the best way to go from what I have seen (if you don't have a gondola).

Some examples:

Chairlift.jpg

alldownhill.jpg

les_gets_lifts.jpg

post-175-141842283311_thumb.jpg

post-175-141842283313_thumb.jpg

www.pinkbike.com

www.nsmb.com

I like the DH scene in the east. I had some CASI meetings in Blue Mountain, Ontario over the last weekend and we rented bikes, using my own soft gear brought from home.

If I had to ride there in the winter, I would sooner shoot myself in the mouth, but the trails were really fun. No jumps to speak of, due to a few lawsuits over the years, but otherwise good times. I'll tell you... that place in the wet would be unrideable. The clay gets like brown ice, filling in your tread.

New York state? Some great riding to be had there. I want to go.

hunter moutain:

http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/summer-activities/mountain-biking.aspx

moutain creek(not sure if it's the same diablo that was reference):

http://diablofreeridepark.com/bikeparkterrain.html

all i know is DH kick my ass; at one point the bike was chasing me down the hill :eek:

I also did couple superman(fly over the handle bar)... some ppl just make it look easy....

All I can say about lift assist is that it REALLY gives you respect for the pitch of things you just breeze through on a plank..

That is true. Have you tried a DH bike? It makes a huge difference. An XC bike (any bike that is not a DH or FR bike) makes everything feel twice as steep.

I'll tell you... that place in the wet would be unrideable.

Can I just complain for a moment about all of the freaking rain and mud we have here in the Northeast? For F#*K'S sake! If I wanted to live in a freaking rain forest, I would have stayed in Central America! I have been biking about every other day for the past few weeks, and it sucks. We've had so much rain that the tops of the biggest peaks are unrideable mud pits. I'm cranky and pissed. I've been running a dehumidifier for 3 weeks to keep the mold which has overtaken our wet basement out of our living area upstairs. My freaking tomato plants need bright warm sunlight to make juicy red tomatoes, and the slugs have eaten pretty much everything else, including my "non-traditional" garden plants. Every time the cats go outside, they come back in with slugs stuck to them, and then I end up stepping on them in my bare feet. Plus I hate worms. I'm terrified of them. Ever since Lance Lucas threw a 12" night crawler on my face in 2nd grade the hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I see a worm. And now they are everywhere. I'm almost getting used to them. It's gloomy, disgusting and I'm sick of it.

Whew. OK. I'm done now....

Picked up a DH bike on ebay this weekend and it happened to be only 35 miles from where I went visiting for the 4th. Wife gave me a hesitant green light.

Phil, thx for the direction via email and I'm looking forward to letting this thing loose. Banshee Scream, gonna get some tinkering DH in this week and trhen seek a full lift assisted day to let it run and get my mtb rust off.

I got the black frame with other components that the guy built from the frame out.

http://www.nsmb.com/images/gear/banshee04/banshee_scream.jpg

If anyone is in EAst PA and looking to ride I could use soem pointers looking to add some air to the repetoire (sp?)

Looks like huinter and diablo are my best options for now.

Later Greg

Chubz,

Very cool!

Pick up a copy of Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack. Lots of good tips in there for jumping, better cornering and an overall better riding experience. It is more DH oriented and the tips help everywhere else also.

Good tips on Lee's site also:

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/

Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

Ink