Note to New Members ×

24 Hours of Le Mans

martyagt4

This weekend, for you gearheads. http://radiolemans.com/ is a great site for streaming coverage.

Of course in the US, Speed(NASCAR AHEM)TV is showing a few hours of it between Pinks and the Dale Jr. show.

If you have Sirius or XM radio they, amazingly, will also be carrying the live stream from Radio Le Mans. From their website...

Hear special coverage of events leading up to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, then catch the race known as the Grand Prix of Endurance.

Wednesday, June 10:

9 am - 11 am ET: Midweek Motorsport Le Mans Special Ch. 126

11 am - 4 pm ET: Free practice coverage Ch. 126

4 pm - 7 pm ET: Free practice coverage Ch. 113

Thursday, June 11:

6 am - 12 pm ET: Legends practice coverage Ch. 126

12 pm - 1 pm ET: Qualifying pre-game Ch. 126

1 pm - 4 pm ET: Qualifying show Ch. 126

4 pm - 7 pm ET: Qualifying show Ch. 113

Saturday, June 13:

8 am ET: Pre-Race coverage Ch. 126

9 am ET: 24 Hours of Le Mans begins Ch. 126

Sunday, June 14:

9 am ET: 24 Hours of Le Mans ends Ch. 126

9 am - 10 am ET: Post-Race coverage Ch. 126

Just a heads up. I've been and worked this race three times. Actually worked on a class winning car one year. As far as I am concerned, it's the only race that counts. The rest are just practice.

Can't wait.

Thanks for the streaming site, I don't have cable or signal for that matter(it's better than you might think) so maybe I won't have to go sit in a bar for 24 hours. I would love to get there, I have only been to the 3 hours they have at Mosport. Maybe I can hit the 12 hours of Sebring next year as a warmup.

I watched around 15 hours or more of it in 2007, and when i wasn't watching it, i was playing Forza Motorsport 2 on my 360. It also help that i was bed ridden with a broken leg and couldn't do anything else if i wanted to.

Pretty exciting and fun to watch if you're a racing fan (anything but an oval track or a drag strip and i'm happy to watch it). I followed the whole ALMS series and the Rolex cup too.

Just a heads up. I've been and worked this race three times. Actually worked on a class winning car one year. As far as I am concerned, it's the only race that counts. The rest are just practice.

Can't wait.

What car manufacturer? And what team? And what class? i'm more of a fan of the GT classes myself, doesn't mean i don't like the prototypes, i just prefer GT.

I watched around 15 hours or more of it in 2007, and when i wasn't watching it, i was playing Forza Motorsport 2 on my 360. It also help that i was bed ridden with a broken leg and couldn't do anything else if i wanted to.

I got sick of that game and let the A.I. driver take 55% and win every race, or most of.... now i wanna play that again. :lol:

Get GRiD if you want real racing. In my opinion it was far superior. :biggthump

I got sick of that game and let the A.I. driver take 55% and win every race, or most of.... now i wanna play that again. :lol:

The key aspect here is real driving simulator. I had everything turned off to the hardest setting, so one little mistake meant start the race over...

GRiD has too much of an arcade type of flavor for me, kind of like the Burnout games, which doesn't mean it isn't fun, but it's definitely nowhere near a driving simulator.

It's pretty much like Microsoft's Flight Simulator vs. Ace Combat... Flight simulator vs. arcade style fun. Both are fun, but aim for doing something vastly different. Anyway, i'm rambling, i'm gonna see if i can catch some of the Le Mans right now.

The key aspect here is real driving simulator. I had everything turned off to the hardest setting, so one little mistake meant start the race over...

GRiD has too much of an arcade type of flavor for me, kind of like the Burnout games, which doesn't mean it isn't fun, but it's definitely nowhere near a driving simulator.

It's pretty much like Microsoft's Flight Simulator vs. Ace Combat... Flight simulator vs. arcade style fun. Both are fun, but aim for doing something vastly different. Anyway, i'm rambling, i'm gonna see if i can catch some of the Le Mans right now.

I could see that for the drifting part of GRiD, but i found it very realistic.

Real time damage, real time daylight/night, team drivers, limited garage space, etc.

And the 24 hour de le mans was 24 minutes instead of Forza's 45 minute to an hour endurance races.

Watching it right now on speed. :D

I could see that for the drifting part of GRiD, but i found it very realistic.

Real time damage, real time daylight/night, team drivers, limited garage space, etc.

And the 24 hour de le mans was 24 minutes instead of Forza's 45 minute to an hour endurance races.

Watching it right now on speed. :D

The main aspect of a driving simulator is the driving physics/car handling - everything else is secondary and just icing on the cake. Gran Turismo has yet to implement damage or any of the icing features, but their driving physics - especially GT5 prologue is spot on, even more so than Forza 2. You can hardly get away with any sloppiness with braking and acceleration in corners - driving line needs to be spot on too, otherwise you'll have slow lap times.

Don't worry, you'll be driving in 3 years, and you'll know exactly what i'm talking about :p. Fun stuff, never done any wheel to wheel racing myself, but i've been out for a DE track day here and there - wheel lock ups, having a car get squirrely and come loose, etc. etc. That's the stuff that both Forza and Gran Turismo have down - simulated realistic driving physics.

Anyway, as far as the actual Le Mans is going, it looks like we might have some new victors on hand for the LMP1 class. Audi has pretty much ruled that class since 2000, and when they didn't win in 2003, it was a Bentley powered by an Audi engine, hehe.

I'm probably gonna head to sleep and set my alarm so i can wake up for the final laps and see who crosses the finish line at 6am PST.

I want to do a 24 hours of Lemons race one of these days. That looks fun.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Car can't cost more than $500 (you can spend above that on safety equipment like roll cage).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZ8bQz3wJY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZ8bQz3wJY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DSC07946.JPG

hehe, that's pretty cool. 24 Hours of Le Mans is actually very similar in that it's all for the prestige and glory. What you win as far as the grand prize is nothing. I'd say the 24 hours of Lemons isn't all that far off... hehe

The entry fee to race a car is 38,000 Euros - doesn't include your crew, gas, tires, etc. etc. The grand prize for the overall winner is 40,000 Euros...

If you want a REAL racing sim you have to go to the pc

Live for speed. Best racing sim hands down.

We did the 24 Hours of Lemons last year, and are doing it again this year. It was a blast, and in 9 years of doing it professionally for a living, it was the greatest time I've had at the track. I'm not a driver, I know my skills. So I choose to work on it for my friends instead.

Here are some photos I took at the last race. We lost a radiator hose twice during the race because of a bad motor mount. I took our jack handle and sawed off a few inches to fix the last hose, and used a long bolt and a stack of fender washers to build a motor mount. Ran out of water too, so we used the ice water from our coolers.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006735&id=1305068295&l=6171120b1d

edit: Our car is the White BMW.