Note to New Members ×

top sheet removal

nigelc

How easy is it to remove a top sheet? I have an old board that fits the specs of something i want to try but it is much too soft. I am considering peeling off the topsheet and laying up carbon in place of it to acheive what I want. The board is worth nothing to me and I have plenty of free time and access to cheap carbon and resin etc. I am planning to vacuum bag the new layup on top of the exposed core/old layup. if it takes a few goes to get it right then i am fine with that.

Anyone with any experience with this stuff?

Its a trial and error thing. I have experienced top bonding all the way from peeling off on their own to requiring a body grinder to get them off. Different manufacturers have different backings and then different processes to install so its pretty much full of variables.

Best way to get them off is to try slicing the top lengthwise into approx 1" strips with a razor knife and press hard enough just to get through the top . Then take a chisel and try to get the strips to peel off by lifting and prying up with the chisel at the same time. If this does not work and the top starts breaking etc, have fun:biggthump

• 5 years later...

I have an old K2 Trucker with topsheet delamination.  I hope to mount a panorama photo on this and use it as a wall hanging.  It would be nice if I could remove the topsheet as it would provide a better base for the photo.  I don't know much about materials, but I'm suspecting that the topsheet is some sort of vinyl.  Where it is loose from the board, it's fairly stiff.  I ran a hairdryer over it, and it softenend (it would be possible to epoxy down in this state), but didn't seem to give up its grip on the board much.

Here's a shot of the main delamination: post-355-0-41192200-1419885243_thumb.jpg

Here's a panorama I put on a Burton Air 6.1: post-355-0-62535300-1419885328_thumb.jpg