Note to New Members ×

Custom Boards-Metal/Non Metals!

dave29

I have been riding Nidecker's for years(GS and the Tornado b4 that) and I feel these boards are truly quality. It's my everyday board. Great edge hold, damp, lively tail and they take a beating. I have not had any delam issues, edge blowouts, etc... Do custom boards bring that much more to the table? I need a new board and would love some feedback from any custom board vets. Thanks for any input.

Dave,

I have several custom and several stock boards in my quiver. I Think the really neat thing that they bring to the table is the ability to fix that one thing you dont like about one of your stock boards.

For me, I could never find the right waist width for me. I knew that 18.00 cm was way to narrow. . . at 19.00 or 19.5 I found that I was not getting the edge pressure I wanted at the time. The solution, take that same shape, but have it cut at 18.50 cm. All of my boards sense have been made at 18.5 cm waist.

Not a huge deal, but when a good portion of riding well for me is a confidence and "head game" thing, knowing that there is nothing better means all the excuse are problems with me and my riding. . . not a lacking of my equipment.

The other common adjustment is the relationship between flex/flex pattern and sidecut shape. These two play off each other directly on how the board turns. Lets say you had a board that was a great length for you and great width for you and your stance, but it was either a "beast" to ride, or too turny. . . or god forbid the nose likes to "fold." A couple tweaks to either the sidecut or the flex pattern and that board can go from a loser to your favorite board.

A little long winded, but I think you get the point. I love my customs. . . but there are also some VERY good stock shapes out there. Enough of the small board mfg's have huge catalogs (beyond what is shared online) and there is probably one for you already in existence.

My first carving deck was Nidecker, too. And I loved it!

And I've had a custom Coiler, as well. My improvement was obvious!

BUT, now I'm not sure that custom is the sollution.

I rode some wonderful production boards (say SG), and the best thing is that you can test ride a board before buying it, unlike custom boards. But still, it's not that I wouldn't do some modifications on the production board I'm after. But would it change board's behaviour too much?

I don't know...

So I can't help you :o

P.S. the board I'm after, I mentioned in text, is metal! I Love it!