Note to New Members ×

Alexa in La Molina

yyzcanuck

Greeting from La Molina, Spain!

After a much needed week break from the rigors of the World Cup Circuit, we reconvened the team in Barcelona, Spain. Spain is one of the rare stops on the tour where we actually get to spend a little time in a big city. We took the opportunity to check out some of the Gaudi art and architecture, such as the Sagrada Familia cathedral that Barcelona is known for. We also did a little shopping and Kimi managed to sniff out some amazing bargains in the Gothic old town.

As a treat for us, and a great way to help overcome the jetlag, the coaches took us sailing on a catamaran! The sunshine and the salt air was the sure cure for the time change – although, poor Jasey did not fare so well with the seasickness that the open water swells induced in him.

We loaded a bus and took the two-hour trip into the Pyrenees Mountains that divide France and Spain and arrived at La Molina. The resort of La Molina boasts a variety of great terrain and tonnes of sunshine. It is an interesting blend of old and new, with old stone buildings and modern new hotels. From our hotel window, I could see an old stone farmhouse and a few grazing animals – a nice, pastoral foil to the hustle of the ski resort.

Race day was sunny and warm with no need for jackets, but lots of concern over sun exposure and dehydration. Our coaches had so much water and sports drink in their packs that they seemed to slosh as they made their way to the top of the course.

La Molina is our steepest race – or at least the first 7 gates are the steepest on the tour. The trick was to ride the steep pitch with a bit of care and then charge across the flat bottom section. Unfortunately, a lot of riders thought that their work was over after the pitch and ended up making race-ending mistakes in the flats.

My first run, I made a mistake on the pitch, which cost me a lot of time. I still managed to qualify for a second run. Unfortunately, I was not able to make up my deficit from the first run and I had to settle for a disappointing 21st place finish. I would like to blame it on my board: which was a loaner from Kimi, as mine had all been severely damaged by Swiss Air on the flight to Europe, but I have to admit that the loaner board was fine and the mistakes were all mine.

We were excited for Caro who qualified for the finals for the first time since her ACL reconstruction last year and finished 7th!

Matt and Jasey were once again representing the Canadian men in the finals. Jasey showed us how fast his new haircut was by winning the men’s event in an impressive display of speed and power. As Matt described Jasey’s runs, “Jasey is showing no respect to this course with the way he is carving it up!” Matt finished in a respectable 8th place.

Following La Molina, we are off to Italy for the World Cup finals.

Check out the photos:

Jasey with his prizes. Give that old dog: Jasey a bone! (A ham bone – cured pork leg is a local Catalan specialty.)

International Girls’ Night Out: Joanna (AUS), Ilona (FIN), Kimi and Alexa (CAN)

Me in La Molina – sporting my signed Tomekichi Homma Elementary sweatshirt.

Regards,

Alexa

post-35-141842278556_thumb.jpg

post-35-141842278557_thumb.jpg

post-35-141842278559_thumb.jpg

This is so cool to get an insider’s perspective of the world cup action. A BIG thanks to Alexa and YYZ for taking the time to post these updates throughout the season. –Can’t wait for the Olympics next season. Hopefully the alpine events will get at least a bit of coverage….

This is so cool to get an insider’s perspective of the world cup action. A BIG thanks to Alexa and YYZ for taking the time to post these updates throughout the season. –Can’t wait for the Olympics next season. Hopefully the alpine events will get at least a bit of coverage….

+1 for yyz and Alexa. BTW I have a weakness for Finnish girls. Thanks for the pic.

later,

Dave R.