Note to New Members ×

Anyone ever torn the muscle that lifts the leg?

Cindy Kleh

Ugh, the hip flexor. I had this for about half a year - sound like yours is way more persistent. Do you have a summer sport that you also tweak it with? My observation was that the hip flexor injury was really hard to heal because it felt fine in a few weeks but was still really vulnerable to straining again, and you get no warning as you ramp up your exercise before you strain it again. i.e., there's no tightness or small pain as you push it harder to tell you to back off, just "0% pain, 0% pain, 0% pain, boom strained hip flexor again".

The only way I was able to get rid of it was to do nothing athletic until it felt 100% good, and then continue doing nothing athletic for another month or two, which sucked. And carefully stretched it a lot. And then ramped back up with sports really slowly.

I was not a snowboarder when I had this injury, but I would guess the carving itself should be OK if you are graceful about it, but muscling the back foot around on a heelside, or skidding heelside to a stop or to slow down (especially if you get the chunk chunk chunk chatter, and esp. if counterrotated) would tend to aggravate it.

--

Ken

I have a lower back issue on my trailing leg that acts up occasionaly and it is a lumbar muscle that tends to get pulled when riding in choppy crap and crud. Chatter and heelside blowouts are the result. Just have to let it rest and use some doans back pills for a few days and a heat pad and Im back to normal, but if I ride too much in too short a span it acts up and is a dull ache for a few days...... (and no it is not from drinking too many apreski beers :p)

http://askthetrainer.com/image-files/lower-back-muscles.jpg

I blew them all out last year, adductors and abductors(along with the L5 and the Iliopsoas) I tried to "self heal" but i just kept re-aggravating it. 10 weeks of PT and DT massage finally got me going in the right direction. the key was PT strengthening the surrounding muscles (painful!)so the flexors wouldn't be taking as much of a load, then back to normal sports stuff to slowly get the flexors strong again. Good luck! Oh yeah, lots of stretches!!