Note to New Members ×

Jasey-Jay Wins La Molina

yyzcanuck

From the CSF press release: HERE

PRESS RELEASE – For immediate release

JASEY-JAY ANDERSON WINS SNOWBOARD WORLD CUP RACE IN LA MOLINA, SPAIN

Calvé post career best PGS result in Ladies racing; Anderson and Morison show consistency in men’s action

(La Molina, SPA – March 15, 2009) Canadian snowboarder Jasey-Jay Anderson of Mont-Tremblant, QC, won the parallel giant slalom race at the LG Snowboard FIS World Cup event in La Molina, Spain, giving Canada its 18th podium of the current World Cup season and his own 54th career podium.

With the victory, Canada leaves La Molina in Spain with a total of three medals.

“It was a really nice race for me. Three of my last four runs have been very good and I am very pleased with that. When you push the limits and you give 100%, that is when you know that you earned the victory,” said Anderson, the defending World Champion in the discipline.

“The track was really hard in the morning, and then softened up as the day progressed. I love it soft because that is when you can really let it all go riding. On a hard surface, you have to be more calculated,” concluded Anderson, winning his first World Cup gold medal of the 2009 season. Anderson’s last victory on the World Cup tour dated February 24, 2008.

Anderson, who celebrated his 200th World Cup start today in La Molina, now has 54 career podium in FIS World Cup competition, including 23 victories. This season, Jasey-Jay, known to his friend as the “Old Man”, stepped on the podium three times in World Cup action in addition to his victory in PGS at the 2009 FIS Snowboard World Championships in Korea.

Anderson posted the fourth best qualifying time to advance to the elimination round. He won his first two initial duals to Solvenian Jernez Demsar and Daniel Biveson of Sweden to advance in the semi-finals.

“Usually, I struggle in the semi-finals, and I don’t know why. Today I had my two best runs in the semis. In the finals, I made a small mistake in the first run and got eaten up. In the second run, I knew I had to catch up time, which I did in the steep section where it is possible to really attack while some competitors are riding conservatively.” added veteran of 16 years on the Canadian snowboard team.

In the semi-final race, Anderson faced Austria Andreas Prommegger. In the first run, Anderson took a serious deficit of 0.43 seconds entering the last run. With that huge time deficit to make-up, Anderson took control of his race and scarcely edges his competitor by a mere 0.05 seconds to move on to the gold medal duel.

The Final race saw Anderson face closest rival Benjamin Karl of Austria. In the same fashion as in the semi-final, Anderson made a big mistake and crossed the finish line with a time deficit of 0.97 seconds, an eternity in the sport of parallel snowboarding. In second and last run of the day facing Karl for the gold medal, Anderson once again took matter into his own hands and raced to a perfect run, edging Karl at the finish line by 0.34 seconds.

Racing the remainder of the World Cup season with a broken wrist suffered in Stoneham, Québec, Matthew Morison of Burketon, Ontario placed 8th in today’s race. In the elimination round, Morison won his opening duel against Roland Haldi of Switzerland to face Benjamin Karl in the quarterfinals, a duel in which Morison conceded defeat by 0.83 seconds.

Michael Lambert of Toronto narrowly missed qualifying for the finals, finishing 18th of the qualifying round. Patrick Farrell of Oakville, Ontario, did not advance to the finals posting the 27th fastest qualifying time.

Anderson’s victory, which gave him 1000 World Cup points, jumped him to the fourth position of the season World Cup rankings. With only one race to go, it will be mathematically impossible for Anderson to win the Globe as Austrian Seigfried Grabner currently has 4920 points to his record, leading second place Benjamin Karl by a solid 720 points.

WOMEN: CALVÉ PUTS IT ALL ON THE LINE

Within the Women’s category, Caroline Calvé of Aylmer, Québec was the only Canadian to qualify for the elimination rounds by posting the 13th fastest qualifying time.

Calvé finished in seventh position, posting her career best result and first top ten result in Parallel Giant Slalom on the World Cup tour.

“I am happy with the result. I felt really good out there today. When I fell in the first run, there was a side of me who was disappointed. I went for it all today and gave everything,” said Calvé after her race. “I made that small mistake in the pitch. I put too much inclination on my board, and with the soft snow and bumps, no one was allowed a mistake in today’s race. The conditions were still pretty good for the track.”

Calvé is back racing this season after a complete knee reconstruction following an injury that occurred after last season.

“I feel very good physically since a while now. What is most difficult to regain is the mental confidence, the confidence to be aggressive, to look for speed and to believe in you. That is a completely different rehabilitation process that few people can concretely see. It is a road that one has to go through as well as the physical rehabilitation.”

In the dual rounds, Calvé defeated Germany’s Isabella Laboeck in the opening round to advance to the quarterfinals. In her second dual, Calvé faced American Michelle Gorgone. Calvé took the maximum time penalty of 1.5 seconds in the first run. In the second run, Calvé put everything on the line hoping to regain the time deficit to her competitor, but the American stood tall and won the dual by 4.51 seconds.

Amélie Kober of Germany won the gold medal, edging Austrian Marion Kreiner at the finish line of the gold medal dual, winning her third consecutive World Cup race and sixth career victory on the World Cup Tour.

Kober, the silver medallist at the 2006 Olympic Games, now sits in second position of the parallel giant slalom World Cup rankings, narrowing her deficit to just 238 points over current World Cup leader, Austrian Doris Guenther with one more race to go.

American Michelle Gorgone, who defeated Canadian Caroline Calvé in the quarter finals, grabbed the bronze medal, defeating Ina Meschik of Austria in the bronze medal race.

Other Canadians in the race were Alexa Loo of Richmond, BC finishing in 21st position and Kimiko Zakreski in 26th position. National development group rider Ariane Lavigne of Mont-Tremblant, Québec, was disqualified in her first qualifying run.

The Canadian Snowboard Team will now travel over to Italy to compete in the 2009 LG Snowboard FIS World Cup Finals, the last event of the current season on the tour. At the Finals, the prestigious Crystal Globes will be awarded to the top riders of each discipline.

post-35-141842278408_thumb.jpg

post-35-14184227841_thumb.jpg

From this LINK:

Canadian Jasey-Jay Anderson wins parallel giant slalom snowboard event

Sun, 2009-03-15 14:29.

By: THE CANADIAN PRESS

LA MOLINA, Spain - Canadian Jasey-Jay Anderson captured a men's parallel giant slalom race Sunday at a snowboard World Cup event.

Anderson, of Mont-Tremblant, Que., finished ahead of Austrian Benjamin Karl to capture the gold medal. Austrian Andreas Prommegger was third while Switzerland's Simon Schoch finished fourth.

Matthew Morrison of Burketon, Ont., finished eighth despite racing with a broken wrist.

Anderson, 33, earned his 23rd victory in his 200th World Cup start.

"I didn't expect to win but was working for it," Anderson said. "It's awesome to win my anniversary race.

"I just found out that it will be my 200th race two days ago when I checked the website. I'm so happy to be part of it for such a long time now. It seems that I turn out to be the grandpa of it but I still have one more year."

Anderson, the defending world champion in the discipline, earned his first World Cup gold medal of the 2009 season. His last World Cup win came Feb. 24, 2008.

"The track was really hard in the morning, and then softened up as the day progressed," he said. "I love it soft because that is when you can really let it all go riding.

"On a hard surface, you have to be more calculated."

Anderson's victory moved him into fourth in the overall standings.

German Amelie Kober won the women's event, with Austrian Marion Kreiner finishing second, ahead of American Michelle Gorgone and Ina Meschik of Austria.

Caroline Calve, of Aylmer, Que., was seventh, a career best finish and her first top-10 parallel giant slalom effort.

"I am happy with the result," she said. "I felt really good out there today.

"I went for it all today and gave everything."

Calve is competing this season after undergoing reconstructive knee surgery following an injury that happened last year.

"I feel very good physically," she said. "What is most difficult to regain is the mental confidence, the confidence to be aggressive, to look for speed and to believe in you.

"That is a completely different rehabilitation process that few people can concretely see. It is a road that one has to go through as well as the physical rehabilitation."