Note to New Members ×

Had a blast testing new R-A-D boards

Skwalleur

Well we had a swell time once again carving Oppdal.

Pokkis really have discovered a gem. :biggthump

Credit to Vahur for great photo.

dsc_6044_std.jpg

I tested the new R-A-D skwals and I was out on the stiff gold carbon edition of the Black Diamond 174 (set up with Bomber TD step-ins) and first impressions was "this is a beast!". Pushing it really hard on a wide steep slope I discovered it was really really stable and it never showed any tendencies of torsional flex or loosing grip. Not having perfect conditions at home so often I would however consider the medium flex which would probably be close to the Thias 183F. The stiff one had more camber than I've seen in any alpine product ever!

I really have to say - the TD step-in would improve any Skwal! :D

The board is 13,8 wide which, for me, coming from the Thias and Völkl felt very wide. The width made me feel a bit awkward going on the flats, but when carving it was all good. The width is added to avoid any booting out when riding EC style.

The day after I was out on the soft edition which I would say was not suitable for riders above 75kg (I'm probably 85 with gear). This would be a perfect beginners board or for lighter riders. I tried it with my pretty sloppy Thias bindings too, that probably not helped on the lateral stability.

For all you craving the stiffest and most stable ride to go really fast and deep on the black runs - all thumbs up!!!

dsc_6467_std.jpg

Plenty of fun riding Alpinepunk gear too. Mats really ripping with the Superswede! All the Afterburners looking sweet!

I also tested to ride the Thias Freeride 178 with F2 Titaniums, and apart from the binding made me slightly boot out on the heelside it was an amazing ride!

I'll see if I can cut off the little rubber from the binding that was sticking out. Otherwise I'd say it rode like a Virus I tested a while back.

panther2.jpg

The Thias Freeride shot back home in my backyard...

For couch potato like me photographing is good excuse: "No, I'm not tired, my legs are OK and not burning after 2 runs. I just want to make couple (thousand) pictures!" :D

But actually I wanted to commented last picture: damn, what a nice backyard view! :biggthump I wish that I had such backyard!