Note to New Members ×

Stoner Rock / Doom Metal

D-Sub

you hate specifics, but you wanted me to specify?

There is an established consensus that calls bands who carried on the sabbath tradition as "stoner" or sometimes "doom."

I know the bands...and definitely know Kyuss.

I've found new bands like Acid King, Zex Thoth, Yob, Circle of Misery...the list goes on and on. There's a local band called Whores of Tijuana that's pretty good

yes, it's all just rock / metal, but semi-specific subgenre classification helps distinguish. :nono:

I don't like using the sub-genres at all, but I think there's a bit of a trend specific to Stoner rock. Some Desert/Stoner rock bands definitely have Sabbath influence. Kyuss, in my opinion, doesn't in any form, but to each his own.

To be honest, I haven't listened to enough of it recently or read much about the bands. You're clearly quite into the genre, maybe I'll have to exploit you for more songs and bands :eplus2:

The thing I CAN say is Stoner rock is unique in that of most of the bands I've heard are decent, whereas in most sub-genres, I find some stuff is just plain sh!t.

Progressive rock is a good example. Man, even from track to track King Crimson has put out real garbage.

Kyuss no Sabbath influence?

Cmon, dude! Maybe they don't sound like Sabbath, but...they wouldn't exist if weren't for.

OK, so

Acid King

Electric Wizard (check out Dopethrone!)

Sleep (Check out Holy Mountain)

Boris (named after a Melvins track)

Zex Thoth (sounds like Jefferson Airplane meets metal!)

Yob (more metal than rock, but still gnarly)

Sabbath was the first concert I ever went to 1977/1978 those days are very cloudy.:eplus2::eplus2:

Paul

I knew a guy that saw every tour from Black Sabbath to Sabotage. Said he kinda lost interest after that. I was too young, kinda...but would have loved to have seen them.

funny how things...eras...pass...a "black sabbath" is impossible now...it's just emulation, and the vibe they probably had since no one sounded like them was probably amazing.

I don't own any of their records, and ran across them in my recent searches. I dug some of their riffs for sure, but...a bit too much for me. Im not a fan of bands that so obviously try to be "artistic."

You might like Mastodon? Kinda similiar to meshuggah in that "jazzy" metal way.

Me...more into slow, heavy, lots of bass, GRINDY tunes. Sabbath started it, Melvins kinda continued it, and there are many, many bands in between since.

I never thought I'd live long enough to see the words jazzy and metal used in the same sentence. It's like the words government and accountability in the same sentence.

Mark

LOL! I used quotes, man!

Jazzy not in sound, but in theory and the use of it. odd time signatures, or conflicting time sigs between instruments, etc.

interestingly enough it's true! Doesnt sound like jazz, but the patterns are there.

I don't own any of their records, and ran across them in my recent searches. I dug some of their riffs for sure, but...a bit too much for me. Im not a fan of bands that so obviously try to be "artistic."

You might like Mastodon? Kinda similiar to meshuggah in that "jazzy" metal way.

Me...more into slow, heavy, lots of bass, GRINDY tunes. Sabbath started it, Melvins kinda continued it, and there are many, many bands in between since.

I would disagree on the "artistic" comment -- I'd say it's more of mathematical precision.

Mastodon -- a bit too slow for me. -chuckle-

ok, so now we know where we stand -- I like it fast and you like it slow. :)

Hope you'll find more bands into the genre you like -- have you tried Rhapsody ?