Note to New Members ×

iPhone smart playlist question

Terryw

Just wondering if any one else has noticed that their smart play list does not play in the order listed even though it does not appear to be in shuffle mode?

I have a list sorted by play count so that I can listen to more of my library without getting a lot of repeats. In itunes, the list plays the way that is sorted. But when I play the same list on my iPhone, it plays in a slightly different order. Really strange. It is not a terrible problem, but it bugs me.

is the play count on your phone different than in itunes?

I don't use the ipod function much since I found stitcher, pandora, AOL radio and flycast. internet radio rocks.

assuming you have good service (3g) or within range of a wireless internet network you're golden.

I enjoy pandora and the other sites, but my 3g connection is not as consistent as I would like, so I listen more to the recorded mp3's.

As far as the counts being different, I have tried to play a list right after a sync. At that point all play counts are the same on itunes and on my iphone. iTunes will play the list exactly as it appears on screen. The iphone has the same list on its screen, but will not play it in exactly the order it appears on ists own screeen. Very wierd.

I don't have any issues with my smart play list. Have you tried a hard reboot and or making sure that your soft/firm ware is up to date both on itunes and the phone itself?

Another app you two might consider is simplify. It used to be free I think it's $2 now, but you install it on the phone and on your pc/mac. It allows you to stream your music library to the phone over any internet connection (edge included). Every once in a great while there is loss that occurs but it's so rare and they've done lot's of updates to it since I downloaded it last July.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out my problem. There is a shuffle switch/icon that will cause the iphone/ipod to shuffle the list even though you have not selected shuffle from the earlier play list. In other words, this can be tuned on and off in the now playing screen. If the crossed arrows in the upper right just under the time line are clolred blue then it will shuffle your list. If you tap it again, it turns white and your list then plays as it appears on the iphone.

I thought that if I posted the problem here, I should put up the solution when I found it! Thanks for the help guys.