Note to New Members ×

Practical Pants?

OhD

I bought Patagonia's Rubicon pant which is made of a very high denier (quite coarse) synthetic that has some stretch. These have proven to be very durable and are fairly tight fitting without restricting movement. There is no zippered or velcro opening at the cuff but there is an elastic inner powder cuff detail with a draw-strap and buckle that works well. I find trying to grasp the Intec handle through the pants can be a little dicey if you are in a hurry (unbooting while moving say)

So I test fitted the pants to the boots and marked a location on the inner and outer cuffs where I wanted the Intec cable to come through. I took the pants to a sports sewing / repair place and they did a fantastic job of creating a 2" long vertical 'buttonhole' in the inner cuff and a 3" long buttonhole in the outer cuff stitched through a 2" wide strip of velcro. The opposite strip of velcro is stitched along one edge of the first to create a kind of velcro 'door'. I feed the pull handle through the inner cuff and then open the door in the outer cuff, feed the cable through, and close the door so that the velcro seals around the cable. No snow ever gets in (the door closes in the right direction to shed snow) and the handle is always easy to grasp.

When I have everything on, the inner cuff slides down between the boot and the BTS fitting. The outer cuff covers the BTS so that I don't have to listen to unceasing questions about the springs whenever skiers can see them.

Hmmm...I guess I should post pictures, right? No time today or tonight. Maybe Wednesday.