Note to New Members ×

RipStik Beef-Up

boarderboy

Skip the Rip Stick: get a slalom board. Rip sticks make you kind of feel like you are pumping, you can actually ride a slalom board places and go fast.

Rip sticks don't look stable and it seems like a mediocre method of transportation at best.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvUEpJzqM4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvUEpJzqM4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

seems like the basic technique of ripstick is counter-rotation and twisting. i'm just a skater who comes to this forum to learn about snowboard carving, but from what i understand, those aren't tendencies to be encouraged on the snow. a ripstik simulates the action of turning by sliding the back end of your board.

i can say that if you want to carve asphalt, a slalom board, or any decently turny longboard is more versatile, more fun, and offers a much closer approximation of the edges of a snowboard. imho you look a lot less stupid too.

i can say that if you want to carve asphalt, a slalom board, or any decently turny longboard is more versatile, more fun, and offers a much closer approximation of the edges of a snowboard. imho you look a lot less stupid too.

I have to agree.

So, based on the many good observations thusfar posted, I've decided not to take up RipStiking. (My 12-year-old Ripping son thanks you, one and all. The thought of Dad 'Stiking was so embarassing and uncool!)

Which brings up another question. I'm gluing the last lams on my Roarockit longboard today. I skate in my size 12 mid-high hiking boots because of previous (unrelated) ankle/foot injuries. So I don't have great feedback sensitivity when I board.

Since I can laminate almost any length/width/camber/profile board with my vacuum set-up, what would you guys recommend for a shorter, non-longboard dimension/configuration that I might be able to "pump."

Remember, size 12 boots so it's gotta be wide (?)

Thanks!