Note to New Members ×

Board too stiff for hardboots?

Helvetico

Rode hardboots for the first time on my 182 Tanker two weeks ago: practically threw away the softies when I got home. Rode my 164 Reto Lamm (stiFFFFF BX board) on hardboots and wanted to throw the hardboots away.

The longboard has a thinner waist (24.6 cm) and is flexy. The BX board has a thick waist (25.5) and I've yet to feel it flex. I can go down bumps, steeps, you name it...more easily on the Tanker. What gives?

Maybe I should toss the BX boards (I've got an extra, unridden Reto) and use the 182 as an all-mountain board and buy a Tanker 200 for powder.

Anyone out there think Coiler, etc., offer a better AM board than the Tanker? I'd like to hear.

Helvetico, sounds like the Reto is a stiffer, and perhaps more lively board than you want to ride. The Tankers much more damp and they have a relatively soft flex. As far as I can tell, hardboots generally provide more powder to bend the board than softboots. What you might be feeling is that they are transferring more of the rebound from the stiffer Reto back into your legs. Whereas softboots might pad that a bit more.

The Tankers built in 06/07 and after are wider than the Tanker you have. They now have a 255 waist, but they are still very damp and relatively soft. There may still be some of the pre 06/07 Tankers around.

If you want a Coiler, just start talking to Bruce about what you want and what he can build. Damp stable boards seem to be his thing, so if you like the Tanker, he could probably create something you really like. Maybe you could create the first Monsta AM-T.

I've been out on my Reto 164 twice now, and have a few ideas...that may help. The first day I rode it, I went for little to no underhang in hardboots, which ended up, fo me, at 32ish rear/40front. Came home thinking of a set of soft boots would make it better, then reconsidered. Went to 45f/40r the next time I took it out (the only change) and it felt right. Don't ask me why!? but it felt good. I'll probably take my angles up to 50f/45r next time out. I remember Shred's ride report on it, and he had some crazy angles on it, and it seems to help the hardboots work on it, or me work on it. I am almost centered on the inserts, just over 20 inches stance width. I think this board likes to be driven, much more that the Tankers. Fool around with it before you give up.