Note to New Members ×

I can finally post!!

crazyTKDsquirrel

woot woot!

Anywho, hey everyone! New to the board here...I have some questions that I'll try to make relatively quick since I'm planning to go to Silver Mtn or Lookout in the the morning. :)

First a little background. I'm pretty new to snowboarding (about 1 season), but I'm not necessairly a "beginner". Apparantly my learning curve was pretty steep. :p I love speed and eventually want to do some serious carving. I have a problem though:

147.jpg

As you can see my setup is quite pathetic to alpine standards, but it's all i have right now. :( Angles are 48F/42R with Fifty-One Fifty bindings and Rome SBs. The board is a Bodyglove 156 that I got from a former racer (friend). I've tried to find some info about the board, but haven't found anything. Is aggressive carving even possible with something like this? haha. I've only tried this angle setup once at Tamarack in Idaho, and I guess it worked pretty well...I guess we'll find out tomorrow. :freak3:

I've been reading a lot while waiting for my account to activate, and I read that it would be alright to get boots and bindings with my existing board and eventually upgrade to an alpine board. My questions are:

What is a good boot that I can get without breaking the bank? How about bindings? I don't want something that I'll outgrow (skill wise) in a couple seasons, but I also don't want to spend toooo much (maybe 500 for both boots and bindings? Or am I going too cheap on those?).

And finally, keep in mind I'm a poor 18 yr old college kid, so I don't exactly have that going for me either...:o

For those of you who have read my long first post, thank you and I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!! I've heard this was the place to go for anything alpine.

Thanks again!!

Post on the ride board forum and try to meet up with Steve Prokopiw. He has a ton of experience, and is an instructor who can help with riding and equipment setup. There are a bunch of other good riders in the area to meet up with.

Best of luck, it won't be long till you are hooked.

Ink

Well we ended up going to Lookout. I had to be back to the campus by 4 for a meeting, so we wouldn'tve been able to stay all day at Silver. I'm hoping to make it next week, or the week after for sure.

As for my binding angles, I really liked it...I felt a lot more stable in the foreward position. Though my boots and bindings were flexing A LOT. :( I can't wait until I can at least afford to buy some hardboots and bindings!! Hopefully I can still meet up with you sometime, Steve. I could really use some professional advice on getting the ball rolling.

Thanks all for your support,

Gus