Note to New Members ×

stratton

Ear dragger

• 4 weeks later...

Yahoo

Issued by The National Weather Service

Albany, NY

3:56 am EST, Sun., Mar. 1, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 PM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 PM EST MONDAY FOR THE NORTHERN BERKSHIRES AND SOUTHERN VERMONT.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE NORTHERN BERKSHIRES... AND SOUTHERN VERMONT LATE THIS EVENING... AND BECOME HEAVY TOWARD DAYBREAK MONDAY. WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS OVERNIGHT AND CONTINUE MONDAY... CAUSING BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND REDUCING VISIBILITY. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS MONDAY NIGHT WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 12 INCHES LIKELY... WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS OVER THE EAST FACING SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS AND NORTHERN BERKSHIRES.

A MAJOR COASTAL STORM WILL STRENGTHEN ALONG THE GEORGIA COAST TODAY AND REACH CAPE HATTERAS THIS EVENING. THIS STORM WILL THEN MOVE NORTHEAST TO THE GULF OF MAINE BY MONDAY EVENING

OKEMO... Was back for the first time since 2002 accident

<!--- blog body --->I started Snowboarding in 1996. I got really good really quick. I soon began to find I had a need for speed and the competetitive side of me shone like a lighthouse in the dark. *Back when I was young and had health insurance, I had NO FEAR (minus the lame stickers). In 2002 I had a really bad wipeout while racing @ Okemo on a GS course under the Northstar lift line, and I've retold this story numerous times, so I'll spare the details othe than the fact that I was rendered unconcious, pissed my pants (lost involuntary bodily function) and cracked my helmet in half as if it were a walnut. If I wasn't wearing said helmet when I slammed the rock that was just under the snow, I would not be here right now. ..... Although my spelling has never been quite teh same since tehn.. Hur Hur hur. :-p

I went to Stratton On Wed this week, hooked up with some hardbooters, rode with some old friends, but just couldn't dial in my stance and my form was a mess until the end of the day Afer I had the rear toebail open up on me AGAIN ! and it shook my confidence to the point I needed to go find the safety strap that I made so just such situation would not happen(which I lost earlier just after this picture was taken) We had dinner, and went to bed wicked early. We were up and out the next morning to go to Okemo. I was aprehensive to say the least, but I was determined to not let the past scare me anymore and faced some personal demons. I was a tad dissapointed around 10 am when I got on the Northstar lift and saw a beautifuly groomed race trail that was (CLOSED) not open. I almost debated ducking the ropes and ripping it just to do it, but being the Dutyfull trail nazi that I am, I refrained. I was going to ask one of the trail patrol mountian officers if they would let me take a run on it, ut the next time I came up, I saw they had opened it.

I made 5 runs on it in the next hour, and each time, I amped it up. The 6th time I went down later in the afternoon I felt like an old pro, but my legs were spent and tired rom riding hardboots and the carver all day for 2 days at that point, yet I still managed to put in some really good carves and sweeping turns that left good etchings in the snow for sure.

Now, 32; I realise that with age comes knowledge and also the sad reality that what I was able to do at 24 I cant do now, but can still make it look damn good....... especialy when jamming on the brakes hard with a snowboard and getting lost in a cloud of mountain-speed (powder) as I slide on my ass laughing down a slope as my heelside turn blows out on a thin cover (icy) patch.

"Put the board down before the board puts you down".

and as I always say after a long day hard of riding:

"Come back beat, but not broken !"

* So I stopped by Jiminy on the way home, said hello then ate some food @ the roundhouse and returned to my place, hung the boards and hopped into a nice hot shower, and here I am.

SOmetimes we need to live with fear and danger.......... Sometimes we need to leave that behind and just ****ing forgetaboutit.....

Much love to the Bomber Krew forum members (Paul, Mike, Mark, Rob, Steph*Sorry I was late!) and Bryan/ Terese and the hommies @ Stratton and Okemo for keeping it real.

*Ran into Urlse (mike) @ Okemo Thursday, we were both tired as hell, and beating ourselves up with new board stances and body motion issues, but made the best of it !

Mark, Sorry I missed U all day @ Okemo W eill ride again soon !

<!--- blogger's current book/movie/music/games --->

post-2724-141842277175_thumb.jpg