Note to New Members ×

Alexa Loo Fosters Young Fan Base

yyzcanuck

The following is from this LINK:

Loo fosters young fan base

Snowboarder arranging bus trips to see World Cup

Richmond News

Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Richmond's Olympic snowboarder Alexa Loo is appealing to businesses in her home city to help her make dreams come true for local school children.

Loo, who's been boarding competitively around the globe this winter, wants to get as many kids as possible up the mountain when the World Cup/Olympic test event comes to Cypress next month.

She's asking for businesses to sponsor up to eight buses, at $700 a run, to take hundreds of youngsters from a Richmond elementary school to watch her and other top Canadian boarders compete against the best at the World Cup at Cypress Feb. 15.

And as part of the deal, she plans to award eight pairs of Grade A tickets for the men's and women's 2010 Olympic snowboarding events to the children who make the best cheering signs for the Canadian World Cup boarders.

"I don't want to take money from the kids to get them up the mountain," Loo said.

"I just want to be able to share the love of my sport and the excitement of the World Cup and the Olympics with them.

"The more kids we can get up to Cypress the better as it will be a great experience for them."

As well as helping youngsters get a day out on Cypress Mountain watching top class snowboarding, Loo said businesses or individuals who sponsor a bus will get exposure in the media and at the World Cup event for their generosity.

Canwest, parent company of the Richmond News, was the first to take Loo up on her offer by sponsoring a bus.

"To thank (businesses) for their support, I will give each of the kids on the bus a card saying that the ride and the contest is graciously donated by you," she said.

"The bus ride is also a great opportunity to provide the kids a giveaway to remember your business and remember the event."

Top of Loo's list of children to treat is the Richmond elementary class which has adopted her for the 2010 Olympics.

As part of the government's Adopt an Athlete program, a class from Tomekichi Homma elementary in Steveston took Loo under its wing.

"This class will go for sure," Loo said.

"I'll probably let the school decide what other classes get to go, but I would hope to see as many kids go as possible.

"Hopefully, those that go will get a great taste of what it's going to be like at the Olympics next year."

Loo said the Olympic ticket prizes will not be limited to the kids that she buses up the mountain and may be open to other children.

If you can help out Loo, email her at alexaloo@hotmail.com.

© Richmond News 2009