Note to New Members ×

boot cant and binding cant?

serge

Hi all,

I have a question regarding boot cant and binding cant. Firstly, I am bowlegged. If I stand up with my feet together, I can fi about 3 fingers between the knees. I set up the the boot cant outwards so that my knee are centered over the center line of my foot when my knees are bent. Also, I am flat footed, and overpronate.

That being said, does it still make sense to have outward cant on the bindings?

My Catek OS2 binding angle are set to 60F/57R on a Donek FCII (19.5 waist). Stance is 18 inches based on the inseam x .607 rule. I have 3 degree toe lift on the front, and 6 degree of heel lift on the rear . At 3 degree, there was pressure on my rear shin. Setting it to 6 degrees relieved the pressure, and I feel equal pressure on both shin when my knees are bent. On my rear 325T boots, the forward lean is on the "1" position, and the front is at "3".

two questions:

1) Is the "1" position too forward for my rear foot? What lean do most of you have?

2) From some of the discussions, I understand that it helps to have outer cant on the rear binding, but does this take into consideration that a bowlegged person should also have some outward cant on their boot? The reason why I ask is because at 1 degree outwardcant on the rear , I feel some cuff pressure on the outer side of the rear leg. With 1 degree inward cant on the binding, the pressure is gone.

I have been out on hardboots twice so far, and still trying to figure out my setup.

Any help would be great!

I've got identical legs and bindings.. You say you've been out twice so far, why do you think your bindings aren't correct? Just trying to clarify the issue.

Hi Hotbean,

I am new at this. So far it feels comfortable, except that I think I need to remold the liner since I get some heel lift. The shop that I went to tighten my boot really tight when the liner was molded, so it feels a bit loose. Glad that I am not an oddity :).

As for binding setup, I was wondering if this will impede my progression. Just wanted some opinion if I am going in the right direction. I am still getting comfortable carving on hardboots, but I think the transition from carving with my Donek Razor (45F/40R) really helped me the first time out. I can do cross under no problem, and carve C's on moderate runs most of the time.

How did you setup your binding/boots to help with your bow legs?

I've got similar lifts, but use a bit of an outward cant on rear and slight cant towards nose on front. I'm not suggesting that's the best for you (..or shoot, even me), but that's were I seem to be having the best balance. If I stand comfortably while running flat on the base, my board tracks (err.floats) straight w/o error. I suppose this is good for me as I have a neutral stance as a starting point. I have gone to a slightly narrower stance (18) and have my rear boot (stratos pro) in the most forward lean position it can be in...although, in a 'tinkering' mindset, i noticed the other day when I forgot to take my boots out of walk mode, that the ride felt different..and it wasn't a bad different.

Interesting that you should post this topic. I haven't been on a board in 3 years and it's like starting over again. I've been re-hashing as much information as I can in my head & trying different things that I have read.

The other day, while installing Bomber's BTS, I noticed that my 'Boot cant' interferes with the BTS operation. Because the 'Main Shaft & Lower Bracket' are attached to the heel of the boot and the 'Upper Case' is attached to the upper boot, 'Boot cant' puts the 'Upper Case' of the BTS on an angle to the 'Main Shaft' thus creating a bind.

If I have bindings that are adjustable for cant, why do I need the cant adjustment in the boot ? Would I be better off setting my 'Boot cant' at Zero, and getting the desired cant I want with the bindings?

I'm thinking this would keep any bind in the BTS to a minimum, allowing it to do its job better, any input?

Hmm.... That is good to know .I just ordered a set of BTS which is on its way....

I guess I'll have to see if it will also be a problem for me. I guess I can set the boot cant to 0, and see how the boot feels. If I recall, when the boot cant was set to 0, I had a pressure point along the right side of my right foot when i clipped in in my living room.

I wonder if anybody at Bomber would have any input on this.

Maybe I will need to get some custom orthopedics. Anyhow to early to tell until I get the BTS.

Thanks for letting me know...

I'm thinking this would keep any bind in the BTS to a minimum, allowing it to do its job better, any input?

Boot cant and binding cant do feel quite different. I can't stand cuff cant, and I'm indifferent about my bindings. Never considered boot canting affecting BTS, but if it really is binding badly, it goes without saying that the threaded rod will destroy the aluminum.

serge, and anyone else, please do NOT interpret this as any negativity towards the BTS! I just installed the BTS and think it is awesome so far, and haven't really started to fine tune it yet. I also do want to point out that I have a non-recommended application (HEAD Stratos). I also may be 'pickier' than most, but Boot Cant does in my case cause a slight bind in the system, hence the original question.