Note to New Members ×

Skis for teaching a young-un

BadBrad

I have an 18-month old boy, and I am planning to put him on skis next season, and I'm looking for suggestions for skis for myself so that I can ski with him. I think it would be a lot easier for me to help him on and off lifts and help him on the slopes on skis rather than on a snowboard.

Last year I rented some skis for a day, and it was my first day on skis in about 20 years. I thought that I'd be like a beginner again, but I found it very easy, and I was cruising blue runs immediately. The new skis are so easy to turn compared to what I rode 20 years ago.

Anyway, I thought I'd keep my eye out for some used skis and boots or perhaps a good sale on a previous year's model. I'm thinking that some fairly short skis might work best since I'll probably be doing a lot of skating and slow speed stuff and might not be using poles.

Is there a particular model and size of ski and/or boot that you would recommend so I can keep my eye out for them? I am 5'7" and about 150-160 lbs. Again, my main purpose for them is to assist my little boy while he learns to ski, but I have a number of friends who ski so I might also ski with them from time to time. I guess I'm looking for a general all-purpose all-mountain ski for slow to moderate speed use. They'll probably never see powder so powder performance is not a priority.

I did this a couple yeard back - get some lightweight twin tips, because you end up skiing backwards in front of them a bit. I used K2 Public enemies - got them off Steep & Cheap for $200 and bindings for $100 from evogear - boots I just bought at the end of the season at my local shop - Head Edge 8.8 - softer flexing, very comfortable boots.

also look at the salomon tein tips - they are foam core so lighter weight - won't last as long but much easire on walking uphill and swinging around - both of which you will do alot with a kid.

Also check into season-long rentals at your local shop - you can probably get beater skis, boots, poles for $100 or so for the season...