Note to New Members ×

Boot advice for a newbie.

metrix4211

Hey bryan. Youre right I'm very enthusiastic about trying out carving. Unfortunately, i'm also getting very inpatient and just dying to try it out :(. Anyway, where did you see the suzuka demos for $150. Seems like the only thing i see right now are the indys and stratus pro on sale.

They are size M30, (size 12 men's) so they are not for you.

I did find a really nice pair of SB413s that are close to your size, I need to look inside the shell to verify the size. They have conformable liners too!!

They would be the SH!T if they are the right size.

I will call you in a bit.

Bryan

post-198-141842270836_thumb.jpg

Sent 4 photos to your email. With the Grand total.

I think this is a great set up that will allow the flex you need, custom fit and solid connection.

Bryan

The boot shells look like new, hardly a scratch on them. Bindings have two sets of elastomers and area some

of the best Race Plates in the series.

post-198-141842270837_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842270841_thumb.jpg

Sent 4 photos to your email. With the Grand total.

I think this is a great set up that will allow the flex you need, custom fit and solid connection.

Bryan

The boot shells look like new, hardly a scratch on them. Bindings have two sets of elastomers and area some

of the best Race Plates in the series.

:1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

That is a great place to start for a lightweight new carver on a budget. Try to get some yellow spring BTS for the boots as soon as possible.

Zoom and myself are both light weight riders and we have found that if others consider something stiff, it is usually too stiff for us. Heavier riders can get the flex they need out of equipment that just beats us up. Softer boots, softer bindings, BTS, and proper flexing boards have helped our riding immensely!

Enjoy, Buell

Hi Buell and Rebecca!!

Agree!

Allan would have some BTS with yellow springs in the box if I could have found the springs, I either loaned or traded them to someone:(

I did change out the two position forward lean mechanism with a 5 position.

That will provide Allan a chance to tune the system a bit more. He will hopefully hook up with some locals that can help him "Dial" it in.

Hope your snow is DEEP!!

Bryan

I AM set up, two ravens! Cant wait to go for my first run! Thanks again bryan for setting me up with the right gear. Saved me not only tons of money, but frustration and headaches that comes along with being a newbie. Quick question though for zoom and buell or any lightweight riders out there. I understand the purpose of bts but how exactly does it "feel" or how does it affects ones riding if it is attached to a softer flexing boot?

I AM set up, two ravens! Cant wait to go for my first run! Thanks again bryan for setting me up with the right gear. Saved me not only tons of money, but frustration and headaches that comes along with being a newbie. Quick question though for zoom and buell or any lightweight riders out there. I understand the purpose of bts but how exactly does it "feel" or how does it affects ones riding if it is attached to a softer flexing boot?

Hmmm.... I'm thinking about this... I'm 126 lbs and after 20 years of kayaking, pretty much have the leg strength of soggy kleenex (I doubt you have that problem!) so without BTS it was difficult for me to get enough flex even in a soft boot. BTS really evened out the flex pattern so I don't have to lean on the boot a whole lot more or less at different points in the range of motion to keep the flex going. It just feels really silky and predictable the whole way. The boots seem to flex more without deforming as much (which makes them more comfortable) and I haven't had any shin bang since I got the BTS installed. I also have to say that the flex pattern of my boot seems less affected by temperature now. The boots are still a little stiffer when it's cold of course (I ride at below zero temps somewhat often) but not rock hard like before since now flex is not dependent solely on plastic deformation.

I can't really say exactly how my riding changed as a result of getting the BTS because I got them at SES last year at the same time that I took lessons and I got to ride with other hardbooters for only about the second or third time, so a whole bunch of things changed at once - all good! :)

So... you can certainly ride and learn and have fun without the BTS, but I felt it was a great investment. :biggthump

metrix, I have not ridden the 413 boots, but I have not found any hardboot to be that soft in forward flex for me. The BTS will offer you a tunable stiffness that increases as you bend the boot farther and compress the spring more. You can adjust the spring tension, or if needed, you can change to stiffer springs to get the flex that is right for your riding. I would start with yellow.

The hardboot flex without the BTS is based on the deformation of the boot and / or the tongue. The BTS will allow your boot to flex farther and smoother than the locked 5 position lean adjuster. That added flex really allows you to bend at the ankles which allows you to bend at the knees without getting your center of mass far beyond the edge of the board (it will help you carve better). Bent ankles and knees also really help absorb bumps and grooming imperfections making it much easier to run right over them.

Enjoy, Buell

Edit: Ha, two ravens beat me to it.