Note to New Members ×

How the heck do you guys ride with glasses?

nekdut

"Crashing and losing goggles + glasses is a bitch, though. ;-)"

Yes. Especially if you are nearly blind w/o them! I have tried glasses with many different goggles, and i hate having any kind of pressure on my face while i'm trying to recreate. I can put up with fog now and then, but I'm the type that cuts all labels out of shirts and pants because they irritate me. I'm super sensitive.

Maybe I should try goggles and glasses while chanting OHM on all chairlift rides and learn to accept it by meditating on cavemen riders who didn't have 20/20. They crashed into trees and were an evoluntionary deadend. Now we have corrective lenses.

Now for all you perfect viz types out there: be thankful for your good genes.

My son and I ride with Bolle goggles and prescription inserts. I use Cat Crap on the inserts with good results. We both put the goggles on in the lodge before going out an leave them on to minimize fogging. Since neither of us can ride without glasses and I never was able to get used to contacts it is our best option. We choose Bolle specifically for the inserts. While a good race crash can require some reassembly, they've worked out well for my son in both gate and bx. You can get the inserts for about $80 with plastic single vision lenses and move them between goggles if needed. I usually get the goggles themselves either thru ebay or during the annual ski sale at T J Maxx when they are about $25.

Prescription sunglasses with Cat Crap are my other option and allow me to actually wear my progressive lenses...but that's another whole issue.

Maybe I should try goggles and glasses while chanting OHM on all chairlift rides and learn to accept it by meditating on cavemen riders who didn't have 20/20. They crashed into trees and were an evoluntionary deadend. Now we have corrective lenses.

Funny **** right there.

This friend of mine who used to race internationally said he was better before his corrective surgery. After the procedure he could see every little rut and irregularity. It made him hit the brakes when before he wouldn't slow down for what he couldn't see.

I like the contacts myself. It keeps the wind off.

As to the OP. Don't go against doctors orders. That would be pretty stupid. Go faster for more breeze and as soon as you stop, put your goggles up on your helmet. Only pull them down once you're moving.

• 1 month later...
I got this thing for Christmas....will try it on Thursday. Currently using goggles with inserts and fogging...but it's been this way for a long time. Sucks!

Hi Fastskiguy / others who have tried the Eliminator fan module:

Does the fan module really work? Does it really "eliminate" the fog?

http://www.habervision.com/product/Ouzo%20Eliminator.aspx

Thinking about getting one but want to get some comments here before I do so.

Hi Fastskiguy / others who have tried the Eliminator fan module:

Does the fan module really work? Does it really "eliminate" the fog?

http://www.habervision.com/product/Ouzo%20Eliminator.aspx

Thinking about getting one but want to get some comments here before I do so.

I ended up getting a defective unit and sent it back. I asked for a refund but I don't know exactly how that will work out. I think I am going to go with the disposable contacts and regular goggles for next year. Under 2$ per day once you get a supply, that's such a tiny amount compared to the total cost of a day of snowboarding I figure seeing and not fogging is worth it.

We had a day with a high of 12 below zero this year, my rx adaptors immediately iced up and were opaque. I popped out the Rx portion and used the goggles like "regular goggles" and didn't have ANY fogging problems! And this was with a full face mask with no exposed skin or anything. That experience got me thinking about the disposable contacts.

Sorry I can't be more help :( but good luck :)

-not everyone can have Lasik done. my corneas are too thin

Did you ever pursue PRK? After going through the process the past three weeks, they would not recommend LASIK, but rather PRK. In simple terms...it's LASIK without the flap. My brother had PRK and it takes longer to recover...a month later he was happy.

It's not a good time for me to take off work...so will be getting my PRK in September.

K

Close your eyes. Use the Force. :p

I wear glasses day-to-day (including right now as I type this) but contacts for snowboarding. Put on in morning, remove in evening... I use disposables, but treat them like daily wear lenses (clean before and after) and get a few wearings from each pair. $100 bought me at least three seasons' worth.

But, for skateboarding:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wiley+xl-1

I got a prescription set with photochromic coatings (or is it photochromatic?) so they get moderately dark in the sun. When skating, they fog up a bit between runs but once I get moving they clear right up. In the winter I keep them in my snowboarding-stuff bag and I figure I'll use them if I have a problem with my contacts. Haven't actually tried that yet but I expect it will work.

Thanks for the advice, Kent. I'll look into it. Does needing to be out of work mean you can't see for a month? My work is at home, but I'd have to be able to see. Is it more expensive than Lasik? Like ballpark ... how many G's? I'm totally interested.

If ya do a search on PRK or hit wikipedia, you'll find lots of answers. I'm no expert, but my friend is one of the top 5 eye surgeons in the US..so this is coming second hand. "Most" LASIK eye surgeons also perform PRK. Many of them prefer to use the WaveFront machine...which is the same laser as LASIK. It's just a matter of whether you want a flap which never actually heels or your eye to repair itself. I cut and pasted this from a site:

Excellent alternative when LASIK is not an option, suitable for those

with less corneal tissue, fewer haze outcomes than LASIK,

preserves more corneal tissue, no complications of stromal flap

possible, less risk of dry eye, effective with pupils large enough to

make LASIK difficult, extremely mild pain (“scratchy sensation”),

long-term outcome same or better than with LASIK, wavefront

technologies may be applied which ensure excellent results, 20/20

vision or better typically achieved.

Most patients prefer LASIK because of the minimal recovery. Most docs like PRK because there is less risk of complications. In my brother's case, he was laid up on the couch for 4 days (2 of which were a bit painful), back to work on day 5 and felt no issues after 30 days. Of course, everyone is different. Some are back sooner, some later. Most docs will only do PRK in one eye at a time to compensate for the various recovery time.

Cost is similiar or less expense than LASIK, based upon the machines used.

Hope that helps.

K