Note to New Members ×

Bevel

newcarver

All my boards are tuned this way and work OK for me in all conditions. 1 degree base, 2 degrees side for an included angle of 87 degrees. Some people run 3 degrees side with good results as well. I think one degree base is pretty standard except for special race boards with a 1/2 degree base for a little bit quicker response.

later,

Dave R.

Lately I have been running 0 on the base and 1 degree on the side for both soft and alpine boards. Gives great edge hold but you must always be on edge- no riding the board flat. It works for me. I would think you would want some base bevel if you like riding in the park or halfpipe or riding backwards but I don't do that. I have heard of some people using 0 and 3 to ride east coast ice but not needed here in CO. By using 0 on the base you don't have to remove as much edge on the side with more angle to get the same effect.

My math is a bit rusty, but doesn't 1 degree base bevel and 2 degree side bevel result in an angle of 89 degrees?

If you start with 90 and take away 2 for the side and 1 for the base, you end up with an included angle of 87 degrees.

90-3=87

If you had a zero base and put a one degree side, you would have an included of 89. 90-1=89.

later,

Dave R.

If you start with a 90 degree edge and bevel the base 1 degree the resulting angle is 91 degrees.

If you bevel your side or your base you are subtracting degrees. If you start with a 90 degree edge and subtract 1 degree from the base and two degrees from the side you end up with an included angle of 87 degrees. 90-1-2=87

later,

Dave R.

If you bevel your side or your base you are subtracting degrees. If you start with a 90 degree edge and subtract 1 degree from the base and two degrees from the side you end up with an included angle of 87 degrees. 90-1-2=87

later,

Dave R.

This is actually wrong, although common.. I will draw some diagrams.

The way you are thinking about it is correct if you ignore the side edge bevel of 2 degrees. 90-1 base=89

later,

Dave R.

The math is actually that the 1 degree base makes a 91 degree included edge, while the 2 degree base subtracts 2, resulting in 89. Please see below for clarification. Should be quite evident what angles are resulting.

I did not say whether the base & edge bevel would result in more or less than 90 because that depends on the specific bevel angles.

1229840731.jpg

Lately I have been running 0 on the base and 1 degree on the side for both soft and alpine boards.

I have also been running 0/1 for all my boards, and find that it is just fine. I have never had an issue with catching the edge so there's no need for the 1 degree base that some people run.

I seem to have lost my file in Colorado last winter, so I guess I will be riding my new Coiler at 0/0. Who knows, maybe that 1 degree won't make any difference for the kind of snow I ride.