Note to New Members ×

Greetings!

k2skinny88

Hello all! I have been riding freeride boards for the past 7+ years and finally got my hands on an alpine board and am extremely excited to start using it. I live in DE so the closest area would be the Poconos, was wondering if anyone could suggest a mountain in particular to practice on that they prefer to ride on, any input is appreciated!

Hello all! I have been riding freeride boards for the past 7+ years and finally got my hands on an alpine board and am extremely excited to start using it. I live in DE so the closest area would be the Poconos, was wondering if anyone could suggest a mountain in particular to practice on that they prefer to ride on, any input is appreciated!

Paging CHUBZ to the white courtesy phone

greetings k2! nice to see someone that lives so close to me. I live in PA, but I live less than a mile from the PA/DE border and I'm just a 5 minute drive from Newark, DE(though I'm currently in state college, pa at penn state). Are you a student at University of Delaware?

I'm relatively new to carving as well, I've only tried it twice so far, both times last year in Sun Valley, ID, so I may not be the best help you can get. As far as where to go to practice, your best bet would be anywhere with snow. I know it sounds lame, but considering how pathetic our drops are around here, can't say much more. Your best bet would probably be Blue Mtn. its one of the closest drives, closer than the poconos and IIRC, the vertical drop is higher than any of the mountains in the poconos. I'd also suggest heading farther north to VT. Its a long drive, but much better drops, much better runs, and more hardbooters up there as well.

Thanks for the props Mark.

K2skinny88,

We are probably the closest decent mountain to you. Where are you in DE?

There are quite a few hardbooters at BC. Of course, there are quite a few at Blue as well.

Let me know if you are interested in coming up to BC. :biggthump

Keenan

+1 for Blue Mtn.

JBS and I ride there, would be more than happy with some pointers. For PA, Blue would be more than happy to push you to your riding limits to prep you for other trips. For some reason eastern PA resorts love their tight trails but Blue does have some stuff that allows you to open it up when conditions permit.

I think that is why Blue is on Tru Tv this season for their ski patrol, rumor has it that they had one of the highest incident rates in the states. Its a place that that your head better be on a swivel and pick your spot properly.

Certainly improves one's situational awareness. Get there early, get your runs in and go home.

Phil is down at Bear and carries a very high level of skill, I just think its worth the extra 35 minutes in the car to goto Blue.

Post on the ride board if you are coming up, we are always trying to get folks to come out and yuck it up.

Greg

greetings k2! nice to see someone that lives so close to me. I live in PA, but I live less than a mile from the PA/DE border and I'm just a 5 minute drive from Newark, DE(though I'm currently in state college, pa at penn state). Are you a student at University of Delaware?

I'm relatively new to carving as well, I've only tried it twice so far, both times last year in Sun Valley, ID, so I may not be the best help you can get. As far as where to go to practice, your best bet would be anywhere with snow. I know it sounds lame, but considering how pathetic our drops are around here, can't say much more. Your best bet would probably be Blue Mtn. its one of the closest drives, closer than the poconos and IIRC, the vertical drop is higher than any of the mountains in the poconos. I'd also suggest heading farther north to VT. Its a long drive, but much better drops, much better runs, and more hardbooters up there as well.

I am at delaware tech right now but working on getting into university of Delaware Spring. Yeah i know the mountains near us are practically hills when compared with what is up north. I'm hoping to go to somewhere in vermont for a weekend, money permitting.

Nice, I've got the same board. For an older carver that's a good one. It's got almost as much nose as a freeride, so it does great in slush and slightly deeper snow than most carve boards. Have fun out there!

Thnaks! It's good to hear i made a good choice with the board.

Thanks for the props Mark.

K2skinny88,

We are probably the closest decent mountain to you. Where are you in DE?

There are quite a few hardbooters at BC. Of course, there are quite a few at Blue as well.

Let me know if you are interested in coming up to BC. :biggthump

I am located in Newark, DE which is northern Delaware. If i do go to BC i'll definitly send you a pm and make a post on the ride board to let others know too.