Note to New Members ×

Coiler Schtubby vs Coiler EX

RCrobar

Hello

If someone has ridden both the Coiler Schtubby and the Coiler EX I would love to hear a description of the similarities and differences in the ride.

I found this post by Bruce (Varsava), it shed a bit of light on my question; is waist width the main difference between the Stubby and the EX?

Bruce, if you have time your feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18687

Bruce Varsava writes:

They really are narrow extremecarve boards if you look at the numbers,the flex pattern and type are pretty close even the nose is similar!

Everything you ever wanted in an extremecarve without the width!

Stubby 171 x 20 x 13.2m

Extremecarve 173 x 22x 13.2m

Construction will be as follows, METAL, METAL, METAL, METAL.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I have ridden both:)

Whilst the sizing is about the same, its the construction which makes a huge difference. The EX boards I built were quite stiff per given weight so you could hammer on them hard. My glass construction complimented that as it had the type of flex that got stiffer the farther it went ( carbon content helps with that trait)

The metal boards have a flex which is more forgiving when being pushed farther so it is a more relaxing ride. They are hugely more damp so per given width they will feel narrower as they smooth out the ride. You don't have to push so hard to get the same effect of turning. Tails are a bit softer so you do give up on 2 fronts with that as the boards inherently has less liveliness and a softer tail really means you aint gonna be rocking back and popping of the tail. However once you ride them you will find that you can generate pop more from mid board and the soft tail actually can become your friend. Many times during testing I have thought the tail of the boards could use a bit more stiffness but then I get on some nice steeps or bucked around in some chop where my weight gets back and the board just keeps carving! Then I'm smiling saying, yeah, I can easily live with this! One rider just ordered a 188 Monster and I was describing how the softer tail will allow you to tighten the turn by pressuring your back leg as opposed to a stiff tail board which can slap you weight forwards and accelertate you to disaster. He is a surfer and mentioned it sounded like it would suit his surfing style perfectly. Then it occurred to me that a lot of other board sports I have done work that way ( kiting, windsurfing, surfing) so it really is a good way relate it to the feeling of other sports many of us do.

I found the glass EX boards for me to be somewhat of a novelty board in that the hard conditions around here made them pretty demanding especially on ice.In hero snow they are best but the metals will groove over a lot more varied conditions and don't tire you out so you can ride them all day.

What the Titanal has allowed me to do is come up with designs which utilize its strengths to make super performing boards that are very easy to use. It of course was not a matter of just taking the designs from old boards and adding the new materials as those new materials allow for a lot more than that:biggthump

BV

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciated the detail your posts provide!

I was under the impression that your Coiler EX was also a metal built board.

Have you built or experimented with a metal EX?

How would a metal EX compare to your metal Schtubby?

Again, thank you in advance for your time!

Rob

I have actually done a few metal EX boards last season using the tooling from the glass boards but that gradually morphed into Stubby tooling as a few minor modifications better utilize the metals characteristics. Already built plenty 21 wide stubs so thats just touch below what would be considered and EX design. Things are becoming pretty close between the visible designs but the construction really makes them different.

So its tough to say exactly what a metal EX board would do as I could utilize different laminations to get it to do different things in regards to flex and rebound. Most likely it would be the same construction as it works well in the Stubs so would just have that bit more width