Note to New Members ×

New Jersey Buck

jtslalom

Well it may not be a bruiser if you live in Iowa or some Texas ranch but for New Jersey it's a pretty good one. This 8 point walked under my stand about 7 yards from the base of my tree and I took it with my bow. I had seen it once before in early October and had been hunting for it ever since.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

post-217-141842263395_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

JT,

Nice buck. I took my son out for his first season with a gun. We spotted a buck at about 300 yds and he raised his gun (youth 870 20 gauge) and said "What kind of drop should I expect at this range dad?" He had no shot with a slug so I got it once it came out of the swamp grass with my .30-06. After that, all we saw in his range were button fawns and small does. Sad that he didn't get his first deer, but I can't bring myself to let him shoot a small one just for the sake of shooting a first deer.

I'm happy to have met fellow hunters/carvers.. ... (there's a joke in there somewhere..)

My son and I went out all day today. First hunt for him. It was somewhat frustrating as 45 minutes into the first stand of the morning, he stated, "I need to sit down."..and sat down in the wet leaves. He did pull off a nice 2.5hr stint in a tree-climber stand at the end of the day. The count was 13 doe at closing time...no shots fired.

Good luck to you guys. If you'd ever like to come out to PA for some hunting, let me know. We have 170 acres..I'd be happy to guide 'ya!:AR15firin

Nice bucks guys. I wasn't able to find a legal buck this season, but I did manage to kill a couple of does in archery season. Both taken with an osage selfbow and ash arrow. Both quartering away shots.

2008doe1b.jpg

2008doe2003a.jpg

I don't have much interest hunting in our current gun season, though I may take my flintlock out once the intial crowds of orange hats dies down.

Some of my buddies are starting to hunt with a long or recurved bow. Not necessarily custom made like the one you have AK but still not a compound. Nice bow and better yet you obviously can shoot it well. My son is only 3 years old, so for now I hunt with my nephew. He hasn't scored yet this year but last year on his first day out he shot his first buck. I think I was more excited than he was but man what a time it was.