Note to New Members ×

OT kiteboarding

Matty F.

Guest Randy S.

Its an awesome sport. I started a couple of years ago and love it. I live near the ocean and Bay which are better (IMO) than New England Lakes. Our water is cold like yours so you'll need a wet suit. The lakes would be hard because of all the trees on the shore. Plus you really want a steady wind, rather than gusty winds. Beaches make for great places to launch. Check iKitesurf . That may have some details on local beaches and winds. Take one or two professional lessons to start and get a trainer kite to learn the basics. If you are comfortable in/on the water, you should pick it up reasonably quickly. If you've windsurfed or sailed (especially small boats or cats) that will help too.

Like snowboarding, the gear isn't cheap. In fact it is more expensive than boarding. Plus you get to use the word "quiver". You can get stuff used at reasonable prices (in fact I have a 11.5m 4-line kite that would be a great starter kite I'll sell cheap if you want. It is a few years old and can handle the abuse you'll dish out your first season.) Have you wakeboarded before? That's another skill that really helps. The only real way to stay up-wind on a kiteboard is by carving the board. The boards are essentially similar to wakeboards and carve similarly (lots of weight on your forward foot). Don't get a directional board. Oh, and do a bunch of sit-ups to get in shape.

Overall, its a very fun and exhilerating sport. The first few days can be frustrating and a heck of a workout, but you'll pick it up after 2-4 days (kind of like learning to snowboard). Bruce Varsava at Coiler is into kiting as well. Like I said before, I think the lakes around you would be hazardous. Way too many trees along the shoreline. You do not want to get your kite tangled in a tree and the lines are 30m long. Also, you don't want to get lofted into trees so try the beach first. The trick is finding a beach where there's a decent side-onshore breeze. I'm sure there are more than a few in ME and NH. The rocky beaches of main aren't perfect, but aren't terrible either. Careful of rocks though because they can shred a kite.

That's a long and winding description, feel free to write me with any questions.

Randy,

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I killed some time at work by watching some kiteboarding videos...looks like a great time. I am interested in buying the kite off of you. Could email me at skifari2003@yahoo.com with more details?

Along the coast of southern Maine there are some sandy beaches where it would be safer than a lake. The only thing I'm not sure of is the access of the beaches. Would any public beach allow you to use it or would they deem it a hazard to other beach goers? What happens if your kite goes down in the water? Can you do a water launch?

Thanks

Matt

Out by us the sport is just catching on so there are very few rules impossed on it. They will generally apply rules of navigation to any situation on the water. So far as the beach itself there may be some "Launching" areas that may endanger swimming areas. Then you have to stay a minimum footage off shore. Keep the safty of the others as a priority first and there is never really anything said. abut what you are doing. A great learning vacation would be one of the kite camps in La Ventana, Mexico (Baja) or Solo Sports (Pacific side).

Guest Randy S.

There are lots of forums and websites on kite safety. Check them out and absolutely take a professional lesson before attempting to kite on your own. There's way too much potential for injury without the lessons. To give you some idea of the power of a kite, an 11m kite could flip a car over without much problem, given the right wind. And the lines probably wouldn't break before flipping the car. Guys easily launch 30' out of the water with just the power of the kite.

Matty, I'll put the details of the kite together and email it to you with some pictures late tomorrow. I have too much going on today to get that together. Its a Naish AR5 11.5m 4-line kite from around 1999 or 2000. It has a custom logo on it. A composite picture is attached to this posting.

Oh, and yes, they re-launch in the water. If they didn't, you'd be screwed. Look at the picture and you'll see the inflated bladders on the leading edge and ribs. That keeps it from sinking and the aerodynamics help it re-launch. I find relaunching up to an 11.5m kite no problem. I have trouble getting my 15m to re-launch though. Mostly that's because I fly the 15 in lighter winds and that, combined with its increased weight and decreased maneuverability make it tough to get back up. My 8m and 11.5m kites are easy to re-launch.

As for legality, its treated like windsurfing in most places. You just need to be careful of other beach-goers. You especially need to be careful not to let them touch your kite when you come back in. Try to only let people who kite help you land the kite. Members of the public are too stupid and will probably get hurt or hurt you.

Randy

post-68-141842197651_thumb.jpg

I will take a lesson. From what I've been reading here, online and in magazines all sources said TAKE A LESSON. I've flown a 10' stunt kite and I believe the power of the wind. I don't want to end up like that guy in the picture. Randy thanks for the info, I'll be watching for your email.

Matt

Are you anywhere near Sebago Lake? I can put you in touch with a guy that kites there alot. Just watch out for pine trees etc when you're learning.Best bet, do some nice long "downwindas" and get a boat to bring you back if you can't walk it. Email me direct and come down to Cape Cod for a weekend, I'll give you some lessons and cut you in for a big BOL discount. KITESURFING rules! ask mark fawcett...:p

post-123-141842197664_thumb.jpg