Note to New Members ×

2 months till ski season

KingCrimson

King, rest assured that the season will start as soon as the temps get cold enough for the local resorts to blow some snow. I spoke with my buddy who is the director of marketing at Summit and the snow blowers have been checked already, the lake is full of water and now we just need some cooler temps. Hopefully this weekend will be the start of the cooler temps, doubtful but I can dream. I give it the week before Thanksgiving when they will open.

Did you pick up a pass this year?? Summit or Mtn HIgh?

My brother is living up in Riverside now, going to UCR, so naturally we got Mt. High passes.

3 inches of snow at Mammoth this week, hopefully the weather down here will take a hint..

Been in the 90's the past few days down here..During football practice. Always fun to be in full pads and running in that kind of heat. Played a game last week out east, it was 100 degrees at 5 pm..didn't get much cooler. At least I don't think it did, because I got a concussion and don't remember the 4th quarter! ;)

Do you ever go to Baldy? Seems like most people only go there after storms, but it's a great place. Took the 29er there 2 or three times this summer too.

My brother is living up in Riverside now, going to UCR, so naturally we got Mt. High passes.

Do you ever go to Baldy? Seems like most people only go there after storms, but it's a great place. Took the 29er there 2 or three times this summer too.

HUH? Your brother goes to UCR so you buy Mtn High passes?? Don't understand that one. Driving only 15-20 minutes further you can be on great carving runs with fewer jibbers getting in your way. Usually the snow conditions are a tad better at Summit also. Another BOL member, Bullwings, used to buy his pass at Mtn High also, now he buys a pass at Summit. Maybe you can talk your dad into driving up to Summit for a day so you can meet up with some fellow carvers. Always a pleasure to meet other hard booters!!!

In reference to your Mt Baldy comment, I did used to go there often, especially after the storms but that was many years ago during the straight ski days of my skiing career. I haven't been there for 12-15 years but now that I am skiing again I might have to drive back over there to try things out and bring back some memories

HUH? Your brother goes to UCR so you buy Mtn High passes?? Don't understand that one. Driving only 15-20 minutes further you can be on great carving runs with fewer jibbers getting in your way. Usually the snow conditions are a tad better at Summit also. Another BOL member, Bullwings, used to buy his pass at Mtn High also, now he buys a pass at Summit. Maybe you can talk your dad into driving up to Summit for a day so you can meet up with some fellow carvers. Always a pleasure to meet other hard booters!!!

In reference to your Mt Baldy comment, I did used to go there often, especially after the storms but that was many years ago during the straight ski days of my skiing career. I haven't been there for 12-15 years but now that I am skiing again I might have to drive back over there to try things out and bring back some memories

Wasn't really up to me either way. The other side of Mt. High isn't too bad. Mostly freeriders and not jibbers in terms of one-plankers. My brother likes the jibs, and my dad's happy as long as he's skiing with us, and I'm not too picky about my runs, being that I would still crash and all that stuff on an infititely wide and empty run.

Of course we'll have to meet up at Summit a few times. Always need some help with the technique. When I can't though I'll be working on getting my hands forward and not out like a birdy.

Baldy is good fun, and it's the first place I hardbooted. Not the best place, but MTH had closed by that point. Bike season is over, but do you have any full sussers? It's a good fun ride down.

loc, Ultra Primes are a softer version of the Prime, what length do you have?? By being a bit softer in flex you can really make those things come around pretty quick. Should make a great board for southern cal conditions!!

Sorry to hear about the ankle, glad to hear that you are healed and ready to hit the slopes this year. YOu will have to meet up with the carving contingent at one of the Big Bear resorts!!

Ah Mt. High... how I dispise that place with a passion. Never going back again - i don't care if it's closer.

Lots of douche bag poser teens that are super rude and will dmg your gear. Snow blowing capacity is no where near on par with Big Bear. They might have all the best equipment in the world, but they don't have the water supply. Big Bear has the lake, and when that snow melts, it just goes back into the lake - endless water supply.

Anyway, season should be starting up at the end of 6 weeks i'm thinking. The temperatures have started to drop, and my leg is starting to feel it. Season has definitely changed - finally. I listen to the leg - it knows whats up.

The jib side really, truly sucks.

I feel like hanging out on the basketball courts on thursday afternoons is a better crowd, and that's when everyone buys their weed!

That said, you can make the place work. If you stay on the blues and double blacks, you avoid a few groups.

Orange runs are filled with jibbers, they don't go elsewhere

Blacks are "core" freeriders. They straightline and WILL get you killed.

Green runs..well, no real problem there. Just 155cm swaths of ice on all the runs.

Remember guys, I've carved like 4 times. I'm not picky about my mountains..yet. I'm sure I'm more annoying to them they then they are to me.

fair enough. the only run that i like on the west side, is Conquest. that's pretty much it. all the other runs require you to waste your ride up by first passing through jib territory. it also requires you to stand in the same lines with the posers.

i really don't understand it. does it some how make them feel better to be dicks to people with different gear (skiers included...)?

the east side is ok. still, there's too many straight liners on the non-jibber runs. And one more thing, the trail transitions... those are so damn scary, especially when they put the landings of the 10-15 footer jumps right at the trail transitions... awesomeness!!! :biggthump

anyway, i did my fair share of learning to carve at mt. high, and as you say, it was fine for a while. then, i actually started to improve and started caring more about the mountain and the runs. you'll get there. i'm sure if you come up to snow summit a few times toward the middle of the season, you'll be converted.