Note to New Members ×

Boot (& other equip) advice?

xxguitarist

• 3 months later...

Update in case anyone feels like they're in a similar situation...

I wound up with some used 325 T boots, thermomold liners make a big difference, and the extra stiffness was no problem at my 155 lbs, and I ride them locked in position too. BTS might come later. Despite being light, I'd probably grab some pretty stiff springs with it. Used to the 5 position lean locked in position.

I picked up a 172 donek axis, not the FC that I was originally looking for, but I'm quite happy with it. Takes some effort to make it turn at slower speeds, but get it going a bit and it loves to rail into turns. LOTS stiffer than my F2, especially so between the feet, it seems.

I had a day of great conditions at sunapee, got to work on the "reach for the opposite boot cuff" drill, also after a bit of that I concentrated on dropping my hips without "sitting"

Also got the feel for weighting the board while in carve. Saw some effects of initiating with pressure on the nose and moving my weight backwards throughout the carve. Seems that I can't weight the nose like that in the softer stuff, had a few that just didn't initiate and I went for a nice slide.

Can't wait to go back up there, hoping for more conditions like that. Days at okemo and stratton earlier in the season didn't do a lot for me, too much of a powder/ice mix.

I thinks I sold you my 325's??

Hope they are treating you well. I moved to 700T last spring when Fin had them marked down - I found that the AF shell of the 700's had a more relaxed but more progressive flex. Works for me. I'm an equipment junkie so I end up buying and trying ..... nice when I can sell and recoup a little. Glad you could take advantage!!

I'd just like to throw in my $.02 that in response to this thread I did go out and acquire the 163 FCII that Jack recommended... and it's really allowed me to improve my riding this year. Spent the first seven trips to the hill on this board and it got me confident enough to get on my Madd 170 without fear that it'd be too much board for me. The Madd 170, which is narrower and therefore running steeper angles has proven to be the perfect next step. Its edgehold is as advertised, and the nose (2004/green sidewall) is soft enough that it's pretty easy to crank really tight turns.

World of difference from my 173 F2 speedster rs... which was just too stiff for my 160 lbs. Super super stable, but extraordinarily difficult for a newb like me to get to come around quickly.

Boots are good! I need to do something to take up some volume in the shin area, and hopefully pad it a little more while im at it, I have thin calves & bony shins.. bad combination.

As I said I might pick up some BTS also, smooth things out a tiny bit.

I had the same problem......another reason for my change. I used some ski socks with a thicker cushion on the shin and this helped much. Be careful not to get socks that are too thick - they will bunch bind and rub/friction burn or even blister your shins. A delicate balance must be struck.

I had the same problem......another reason for my change. I used some ski socks with a thicker cushion on the shin and this helped much. Be careful not to get socks that are too thick - they will bunch bind and rub/friction burn or even blister your shins. A delicate balance must be struck.

Are the 700T lower volume through the calf? How about the ankle.. I could do with a little more heel hold-down without cranking that buckle all the way tight.

Either way its a huge improvement in fit.

My socks are already pretty padded in the shin, they're smartwool ski socks. It's nothing unbearable, but they're sore to the touch at the top of the cuff for a day after a day of riding. Did the 700s help here somehow?

Shawndoggy, glad this thread helped you! I think at our weight we've got to be careful with board selection until we get quite experienced. the stiffness of even my axis was a stretch for me at the beginning.

I've had similar problems.......the 700's are a little tighter in the shin. I also added a booster strap - not to add stiffness but to secure them to my calf completely - it is the movement/friction that gave me pain. The 700's have a slightly taller shell. This combined to give me a boot that feels softer - adjustable w/BTS - and very secure.....most important comfortable.

You may try Tognar Toolworks (tognar.com) they have a selection of pads that can be added to custom fit boots. May find something that helps. Or, try molding the liners too. I find that I have as good a result just letting them "pack-in" with time. Again, works for me - others may offer additional advice but its all worth what your paying for it. Experimenting yourself has given my best results.