Note to New Members ×

Personal Trainers in the house?

KingCrimson

Hey,

Is there an article about what to do in the gym that's specific to carving hidden perhaps, in the bowels of BOL? I couldn't find anything, if there is something written up, that'd be great if anyone can find it.

Otherwise, what should I be doing in the gym to get ready for carving? I'm thinking what I do for playing nose tackle and offensive tackle should be pretty similar, but there's gotta be something I'm missing.

Due to my singlespeeding, I've bulked way up on the front of my quads, so I'm trying to even that out.

Should I be doing lots of hip flexer stuff?

Thanks.

i HAVE BEEN TRAINING PEOPLE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS AND THE BEST ADVISE I WOULD GIVE IS TO TRAIN YOUR INNER THIGH AND OUTER THIGHS ALONG WITH YOUR CORE MUSCLES. hAVING STRONG LEGS HIPS AND ABS WILL INCREASE YOUR PERFORMANCE ON THE HILL. cARDIO WISE I WOULD JUST KEEP VARIETY AS YOU BEST FRIEND SO YOUR BODY DOES NOT GET IN A RUT. dRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!

THANKS

KEVIN:)

exercises that I have performed for my favorite past time involve thought about the actual movement patterns and duplicating those movements the best I can with whatever equipment I have available.

One example is using a smith machine to do 'leaping lunges' which also happens to be excellent for explosiveness on the bike.As snowboarders we do tend to become asymetrical with our muscle memory so the lunges can help aleviate this tendancy.This exercise is performed by shouldering the smith bar (padding helps) and then leaping into the air before landing in a lunge position.The next rep is a leap to a landing with a change in forward leg and so on and so on.(sizzor legs while in the air to change forward leg)It is extremely important to main good form without too much arch or curl in the spine.That said, you should start with no weight on the bar in order to practice good form and then in subesquent bouts add weight to the point you can perform at least ten reps per side (20 total leaps)before quad burn in order to simulate the repetetive nature of turn/release,turn release etc. Awesome aerobic benefit when performed at a high rate of speed(stay in control and form or speed will hurt you)Great for hip flexors as well.

The advanced form of this is to leap from the lunge position and land in the lunge position.A more beginner friendly method is to leap from a lunge position and land in a feet side by side position.The advanced method is fantastic for building explosiveness as well as calling upon core strength for the balance it requires.The smith machine by design makes all this much safer the doing it with free weights.As an example of actual weight amount;I performed this exercise as a major part of my routine while training to win the Kilo at Masters World Championships and was pyramidding up to 175 pounds(still with at least 20 total reps) on the bar in three to seven set pyramids.I weighed 160 at the time and won both nationals and worlds in my age group.It had a great effect on my hardbooting during that season,allowing me to carve harder and deeper through all sorts of conditions and terrain.

Another variation is to perform leaping lunges without shoulder weight but while holding a medicine ball.Twist the torso in one direction while in the air and land in a neutral,untwisted torso position so as not to risk injury to back or abdominal muscles upon landing.Twist in the opposite direction on the next rep and so on.Great simulation of aggressive,tight turns.All properly performed training and activity involve core strength and these exercise emphasize that fact.Hope this gives you some insight into how your body can adapt to and transfer movements from one activity to another.

One more point;these and the smith lunges can be made more intense and explosive or vice versa by the depth of knee bend you reach;ie deeper is more advanced,shallower is more knee friendly.A happy medium based on the individual is what I shoot for when training others,but the fact is that with aggressive,race oriented turns there is considerable depth to the knee bend.This should be worked up to over a sensible period of time.Feel free to email me through bomber if you want any more advice.Good luck!

has a write up on what to do to train during the summer, but seeing as you are 14 and play (varsity?) football, you should already be in good enough shape to slice up the hill.

They want me on JV, but I'm not 15, and they've got rules about that kinda thing..

Possibly pulled my hamstring today..I really hope not, but sh happens. Oh well.:)

Thanks for the almanac link.

Steve, those are all startlingly similar to my offensive tackle training, I'm quite happy about that, thanks!

You've been riding before...think of what burns when you go and work on those muscles.....

Take a hint from a former swimmer, little weight and lotsa reps....as opposed to the lotsa weight and a few reps, in descending amounts of weight, that the football coaches want you to do.....

In some respect though, I'm a purist...stick with the free weights-you gain strength in the secondary muscles controlling the weight while you lift